• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom delete GPS information when moving files

New Here ,
Oct 16, 2022 Oct 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When moving files between folder within Lightroom it sometimes remove the GPS information in EXIF. It had never did that in the past. 

have the latest version for Windows. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 16, 2022 Oct 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That really should not happen, and I've never seen any cases where it has.

Test carefully, and please report back with step by step detail of what you're doing. What type of files do keep EXIF, and what file type doesn't?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file type is DNG, thats the only one i use. So for me it is completly random when it keep the GPS info and not.

Sometimes i select some files and right click on a folder and "create folder inside XXXXX" and then tick "Include selected photos. I also just move files from a folder to another within Lightroom and it removes the GPS.

It also remove the Alltiude but that not important for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could it be that at some point you applied a metadata preset which accidentally includes blank GPS values?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that even possible to add a preset when you move files?

If that the case shouldĀ“t it add that preset every time then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it isn't possible to apply a preset when moving. But I don't believe that moving files produced the problem, so you need to look at other explanations and I know that people (including me) often accidentally leave something like GPS enabled when setting up presets or syncing metadata between files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have or use any presets

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I use is DNG, and (on Mac), I can't replicate nor like John, have ever seen this. Could there be some 'external' Windows product that might be stripping this? 

Author ā€œColor Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just moved some files to one folder and it kept the GPS information then just a minute late i moved some other file to a folder under the same upper folder and on those files GPS information was removed instantly.

I canĀ“t see any external on my computer doing this software doing this.

I have never experience this earlier

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you 'move' images? It sounds like maybe you re-import them.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As i mention earlier i use both Create Folder Inside "XXXXXX" and just regular move files.

mobe06_0-1666429115762.png

I have no problem to keep the GPS information when importing files to Lightroom just when move them within it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you do a screen recording of this happening? How certain are you that the files did have GPS immediately before you moved them, and can you rule out that you hadn't previously overwritten the GPS with blank values?

If this was a real and widespread problem, we would have seen others reporting it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines