• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom delete source files after canceled import

Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am almost to upset to even write this. 

I was looking over soem old images and wanted to do some edits. First I see that for some reason lightroom thinks that my older imports are no longer in the catalog. I was a bit tired so I just pressed import for the images. I realize I dont have to do that, I can just add the catalog again. So I press cancel to do an add instead. I go to the folder and Lightroom have deleted all images in that catalog!!! How can this be? A full day of images from my trip in Africa, gone! Is this really how this works. In that case no more lightroom. 

Update: So I recreated the issue by doing a copy of a folder and then did the same procedure again and indeed it deletes all images. No questions asked just got rid of them. No move to bin nothing like it, just gone.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm an expert in data transfer and backup. It's what I do professionally. That's why I was sharing the ability of LrC to move files. I'm fairly certain this is how @Elmeskog (the  original creator of this post) lost his files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @ Russell Kaye. We as a community and the Lightroom team need to put that info  out because CFExpress cards are showing up everywhere.

Copy, don't Move your images when importing! that way you still have the ones one the card or even a folder on the computer, if something, like cancel, happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kentdesign, so if I understand you correctly when you are doing a move from the flash card to a folder on your computer with LrC and you cancel before the save on the computer. Then there are no images on the Computer and the flash card?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on teh number of images and when one cancels the import- there are a few on the computer and a few on the memory card but most are gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DdeGannes. I just tried testing if the MOVE option was available when using CFExpress and it was. In other words, I asked lightroom to Move the photos from the card in the card reader into LR. And yes it moved the test images off the card completely and into LRcatalog and into the folder where i might keep my orig photo files.

When I put the memory card back in the camera, there were no images. That is not good because people might think the card is empty and not reformat as they should! Plus the potential loss of photo files if there is a power glitch or other hardware malfunction - or OE problem like canceling the move during the move...!

I did not try "cancelling" during a move.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Russell, you stated. " When I put the memory card back in the camera, there were no images."

Yes if the images were moved then that is as expected.

Also " off the card completely and into LRcatalog and into the folder where i might keep my orig photo files."

They should be in the folder, however the LrC Catalog file is a database and it does not contain image files, it contains info about the location of the images and the work you have performed with the images.

Move in this context = copy to new location and delete from current location.

P.S. I see that you have created a new thread.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There were some images on the destination drive for the LR "move" command while being imported into the catalog/database before the "cancel import" command. But there were none on the memory card and the number of images moved to the destination drive did not match the number of images on the original memory card. Again, this was only using test images to validate that the festure/bug of cf express  cards still exists. . 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue with CFexpress cards has already been mentioned multiple times dating back 18 months or more. Here's one example from the forum dating back to September 2020 https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/cf-express-card-treated-like-hard-disk/...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know. It's been a hazard for awhile. Surprised that it's still not fixed. Was trying to help on this thread and raise awareness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know. It's been a hazard for awhile. Surprised that it's still not fixed. Was trying to help on this thread and raise awareness.

Well, you're not being at all effective IF your goal is awareness being addressed by Adobe. Here is how you do so:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/how-do-i-write-a-bug-report/idc-p/12932310#M...

And:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/how-do-i-write-a-feature-request/idi-p/123863...

And the advantage of film is that one doesn't need to back it up.

It isn't an advantage if the film is destroyed, lost, or damaged. It is a disadvantage that you can't back it up (you can make a dupe; expensive and results in image degradation). 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I greatly appreciate your effort to help me be effective. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm here to help. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the benefits of digital cameras vs film, is that you have the ability to make duplicates of the original "negative" - so use Copy until you again have two copies somewhere!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And the advantage of film is that one doesn't need to back it up. Or at least it's more difficult to destroy it and back it up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines