• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom does not allow me to change filenames

Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2019 Apr 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Files with the same name are conflicting when I try to upload to SmugMug via the Lightroom plugin. I changed all the names I could, but some files display the error "File name could not be changed in Lightroom". Is there a workaround?

Also, some files with different names are conflicting. For example, two separate photos named sevenbrothers.png is conflicting with another named brothers3.jpg. This seems odd.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Beemerson,

Sorry to hear that, could you please let us know the operating system you're working on?
Also, where are the images stored outside of Lightroom?
Please state the version of Lightroom you're using.

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, sorry about that. I'm usually pretty careful to give those details. Windows 10 64bit. Files stored on external hdd connected via usb.

Lightroom Classic CC updated through Adobe Creative Cloud App 8.2 Release Build 1204643. Running latest version of SmugMug plugin.

Thanks,

b

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2022 Apr 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using LR classic 11.3 and I want to modify the existing file name after processing in Photoshop or Topaz, so that I can readily see the history of modifications in the filename. 

For example, I want to modifiy this file from 20220425_refugionacionalosa_1087-edit.tif to 20220405_refugionacionalosa_1087-PS.tif.

I can't just edit the existing file name I have to retype the whole line.  It seems there is not existing option to do this.  Can you help me?  Am I missing something?  Thanks in advance.  John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 16, 2022 Apr 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi John,

just go in the Library modul and select the filename, you can add / delete any part of the name.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-04-16 um 18.34.26.png

If you want always "PS" and not "edit" at the end of the filename you can do this.

Go to Preferences > External Editing and at the very bottom you find the options to define your own naming conventions.

Ralf

I use Lightroom Classic (LrC 11.3) / Photoshop (Ps 23.2.2) / Lightroom (Lr 5.2) with Creative Cloud on a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017, Intel Core i7 / 16GB / 500GB SSD) with macOS Monterey Version 12.3.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 05, 2019 Apr 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

inability to rename an image in LR probably due to a duplicate file name referenced somewhere in your catalog . Note what you want the image, and look for it under all images. Tweet any naming as required.

Also, the catalog can get missed up, consider an optimize.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked on my system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in my smugmug, occasionally odd things happen, probably something I did by mistake. images in smugmug might link back to the wrong image on my hard drive. I cannot absolutely remember the how, I think I tried a sync in the smugmug publish section, and conflicts to resolve came up.

But, I found that when I want to rework smugmug publishing, sometimes if I am noticing something odd I just go into smugmug, to the folder or gallery as appropriate and delete the images involved, then back in LR to republish.

Not everything, just the problem images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2020 Feb 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. I'm an amature at all this stuff, but here's what worked for me: I had two identical images and needed to rename them similarly. One was a print, the same image was a negative. 2.2-2 for the print, 2.2-2N for the negative (both digital now). It would not let me renname 2.2-2N. So I selected that and another random image, then renamed them both in a sequence. It accepted the rename 2.2-2N-1 (plus 2.2-N-2 for the randomly selected other). Now delete the -1 suffix and properly rename the other without conflict. A cheat, or work-around, but it works. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2020 Feb 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frank again. I just found a better fix to Lightroom not allowing renaming: Select the problematic image. Go to Library > rename (on the drop-down menu). Presto!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines