• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom does not import files

New Here ,
Oct 18, 2020 Oct 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Lightroom Classic 9.4 and when I try to IMPORT picture JPG files from my external hard drive, it doe not copy all the files to the Lightroom catalog. When I SYNC it shows that I have 71 file to import but doesn't import them. I get an error- "NO PHOTOS OR VIDEOS WERE FOUND TO IMPORT".

So, SYNC told me I had 71 files, why do I get this error? THis also happens to other directories on this external drive.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

I am afraid that the answers you have been given so far are either not relevant or not correct. Synchronise Folder and Import are not two different processes. If the Synchronise Folder process discovers pictures that need to be added to the catalog, then what follows is a normal import (you can even ask Lightroom to show the import dialog), with 'Add' as option. 

The error message "NO PHOTOS OR VIDEOS WERE FOUND TO IMPORT" has nothing to do with choosing either 'ADD' or 'COPY' or whatever. It

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

First Point.

Quote: jablake

it does not COPY all the files to the Lightroom Catalog.

End Quote:

No files are ever Copied to the LrC [LrC = Lightroom Classic] catalog. The Catalog file is just a Database file where a Entry, A Reference, a Record, is made of where the image files are store on your hard drive and what edits you make to them.

Second Point.

You need to show us screen shots of what you are seeing on your screen. Both the Syhnchronize Folder dialog window and the import dialog window

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10

Thanks
Jack Blake
jackblake@comcast.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sync and import are two separate and technically unrelated processes. Import refers to adding new images to the catalog that haven't been in the catalog or part of your Lightroom library previously. Sync refers to synchronizing images that are already in the catalog with the cloud. Lightroom Classic could easily have images pending synchronization and not have any new images to import. It's also possible that you could have deleted images in Lightroom for the cloud that are still being held in the deleted folder that Lightroom Classic is still trying to synchronize, and that is where the 71 count is coming from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully you understand that if you IMPORT with the [ADD] option- your photos remain on the external hard-drive. They are not Moved or Copied. They remain un-touched.

Nothing is copied "TO" a Catalog, only thumbnail previews are created for Lr to show the files that the catalog database references in its index..

A Catalog does not contain your photos.

If you use the [COPY] option, then the situation IS different. -You would expect to see copies in the 'Destination' you set in the Import dialog.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am afraid that the answers you have been given so far are either not relevant or not correct. Synchronise Folder and Import are not two different processes. If the Synchronise Folder process discovers pictures that need to be added to the catalog, then what follows is a normal import (you can even ask Lightroom to show the import dialog), with 'Add' as option. 

The error message "NO PHOTOS OR VIDEOS WERE FOUND TO IMPORT" has nothing to do with choosing either 'ADD' or 'COPY' or whatever. It means that Lightroom thought it was going to import some images, but when the process actually started those images weren't where Lightroom expected them to be.

I'm not a Windows expert so I can't help you further, but hopefully others can now tune in and help you solve this.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to Fix the Problem with Lightroom losing images on a Mac in the import phase:

When there are folders containing files with duplicate names in different subfolders, or indeed two files with the same name but different extensions (e.g. heic and jpg) in the same folder (e.g. img_301.jpg and img_301.heic which are different images), LR will not import them both.

The simple answer is to open the master folder. Select group ‘none’ so that each subfolder has a little triangle next to it. Click every triangle so that the contents of the subfolders are all visible.

Hit CMD-A so every image and movie and folder are highlighted.

Right click and choose “Rename *** items” (*** shows the number of files and folders).

A dialog box opens.

Select “Format” in the top left drop down menu.

In the next box down (Name Format), select “Name and Counter” in the drop down menu.

In the next menu over (titled “where”), you can choose whether you want to the filename to begin with a sequential set of numbers or end with it.

The next box down (“custom format”) by default shows the word “file”. DELETE THIS and leave the box blank.

Hit rename, and presto.

Now when you import to LR, you will see that the number of images in the mater fold equals the number of images….

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First Point.

Quote: jablake

it does not COPY all the files to the Lightroom Catalog.

End Quote:

No files are ever Copied to the LrC [LrC = Lightroom Classic] catalog. The Catalog file is just a Database file where a Entry, A Reference, a Record, is made of where the image files are store on your hard drive and what edits you make to them.

Second Point.

You need to show us screen shots of what you are seeing on your screen. Both the Syhnchronize Folder dialog window and the import dialog window.

With the Sync Folder dialog unless it detects newer non imported images the Synchronize button does not bring up the import dialog window.

Please show us screen shots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"When I SYNC it shows that I have 71 file to import but doesn't import them. I get an error- "NO PHOTOS OR VIDEOS WERE FOUND TO IMPORT". So, SYNC told me I had 71 files, why do I get this error? THis also happens to other directories on this external drive."

Either the photos have been previously imported (in which case you should NOT import them again), or the option to treat JPGs next to RAW as seperate files is unchecked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wondering did you ever find a solution to this? Having same exact issue. Syncing shows new photos to import but I get the same error after attempting to import. @dj_paige 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Windows, and external hard drive. Check the properties for that hard drive, make sure it does not go into power save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines