• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom doesn't seamlessly open images in Photoshop

Explorer ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been struggling with opening images from Lightroom in Photoshop.  I have the latest versions of both installed.  As a matter of fact, prior to the latest release, I was still using Lightroom 6 and CS5.  So I am a fresh returning user after many years.

I am on Windows 11, latest version and everything is updated to the latest versions.

If I have an image (CR3 Canon Raw) selected in LR, and then ctrl+e, Windows User Account Control pops up with this message: 20230523_084041.jpg

Note:  The message indicates Photoshop 2022.  I click "yes" and Photoshop is immediately opened.  After almost 2 minutes I get the following message in Lightroom:

Screenshot 2023-05-23 081807.png

Note that this messages says Photoshop 2023 which is my version of Photoshop, not 2022 as Windows stated above.

When I click ok, Lightroom prepares the file for editing and then finally transfers the image to Photoshop.  This preparation and transfer is very quick, 2-3 seconds maybe.  The image is opened in Photoshop.

If I select two images in Lightroom and then "open as layers in Photoshop", I get the same Windows User Account message as above, but then nothing further happens.

Here is what I have already done based on other suggestions from this forum and also from helpx.adobe.com:

• Uninstalled both LR and PS using the Creative Cloud Desktopp App and then reinstalled Photoshop first, then Lightroom.
  • I have deleted my preferences for both Lightroom and Photoshop. 
  • I have added a new entry in the Registry in the App Paths for Photoshop.exe named Path.  There is already an existing one named (Default) which I can not delete.  It has the correct path to Photoshop 2023.  The new entry also has the correct path.  The behavior is the same with or without the new entry.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit:  If I try to open two images as layers in Photoshop, after a few minutes, I get a message in Lightroom that says that it could not open Photoshop 2023.  When I click ok, nothing happens.  This is true if Photoshop 2023 is already open or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted this previously, but realized that I had chosen discussion as the conversation type mistakenly.  So, sorry if this counts as a double post.

I have been struggling with opening images from Lightroom Classic in Photoshop 2023.  I have the latest versions of both installed.  

I am on Windows 11, latest version and everything is updated to the latest versions.

If I have an image (CR3 Canon Raw) selected in LR, and then ctrl+e, Windows User Account Control pops up with this message: 

BryanConner_0-1684901260084.jpeg

Note:  The message indicates Photoshop 2022.  I click "yes" and Photoshop is immediately opened.  After almost 2 minutes I get the following message in Lightroom:

BryanConner_1-1684901260088.png

Note that this messages says Photoshop 2023 which is my version of Photoshop, not 2022 as Windows stated above.

When I click ok, Lightroom prepares the file for editing and then finally transfers the image to Photoshop.  This preparation and transfer is very quick, 2-3 seconds maybe.  The image is opened in Photoshop.

If I select two images in Lightroom and then "open as layers in Photoshop", I get the same Windows User Account message as above as well as the message stating that it could not open Photoshop 2023.  This is true if Photoshop 2023 is already open or not.

Here is what I have already done based on other suggestions from this forum and also from helpx.adobe.com:

• Uninstalled both LR and PS using the Creative Cloud Desktopp App and then reinstalled Photoshop first, then Lightroom.
  • I have deleted my preferences for both Lightroom and Photoshop. 
  • I have added a new entry in the Registry in the App Paths for Photoshop.exe named Path.  There is already an existing one named (Default) which I can not delete.  It has the correct path to Photoshop 2023.  The new entry also has the correct path.  The behavior is the same with or without the new entry.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I inadvertently posted this in the discussion section.  Then, I reposted it in the bug sections since I am not simply wishing to discuss the problem, I am wishing to find a solution, since this appears to be the only avenue by which to get customer support.  But, since a moderator has merged my two posts into one, in the discussion section, I guess I simply have to wait until someone decides to discuss it instead of a person who might be interested in solving problems could offer a solution.

Is this the only avenue by which to get help with a technical problem as opposed to simply having a non discussion about it as is happening now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might help explain moderator's actions: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-do-i-post-in-discussions-or-bugs/idi-p/13691... 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bryan. Frustraitingly, I was having the same issue as you today after downloading the new updates. (I am using Mac) I would click on Edit in Photoshop, PS would launch but the image would not open. I also lost most of the previews in my Lightroom catalogue, did this happen to you too?  I had to reinstall the previous versions of PS 24.4.1. and Lightroom this rectified the issue for me. Hopefully these issues can be addressed by Adobe, I lost my morning trying to sort this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Clive,

I don't have any problem with previews.  But I can give a bit of an update here now.  I spent about 4 hours yesterday in a chat with an Adobe Customer Care agent and they had remote access to my pc.  They tried everything, way more than I could have begun to think of, but nothing solved the problem.  They agree that it was a very strange, perplexing problem and said they would send the info up the chain and get back to me.

This morning, I had an email instructing me to create a new Windows User Account on my pc, make that account and administrator account and to try editing in Photoshop from Lightroom.

I did this and my problem is solved...as long as I am logged into my pc on the new account.  Now, I am waiting on a reponse to if it is possible to correct the issue with my existing Windows User Account.  I really don't want to have to switch user accounts everytime I use Lightroom.  And, I don't want to have to completely configure the new account completely from scratch.  

Adobe Customer Care gets an A+ in my book so far.  The agent put A LOT of effort into solving the problem yesterday and I appreciate it.

I will post an update here when I get further information

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It seems that somehow some permission settings in some of the Adobe files and folders were set to read only.  Windows 11 prevented the Adobe rep from changing the permissions, so it seems that my Windows user account on my pc (it is a local account), somehow had gotten corrupted in some way.  We verified this by creating a test user account and Lightroom interacted perfectly with Photoshop from that user account.

So bottom line, it was the lack of write permission on some Adobe files/folders on my Windows user account.  The fact that Windows wouldn't allow the permissions to be altered is a Windows issue. 

I am still investigating how to possibly correct the permission issue without having to migrate everything to a new Windows user account, or to use a different Windows user account when using Lightroom/Photoshop.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines