• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom doesn't see recovered files

New Here ,
Oct 16, 2021 Oct 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a problem with my SD card, so I recovered CR2 files with recovery software. Not Lightroom doesn't see them, however they I seen in Finder and also Quick View and Preview.

Any suggestions?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

That's why you can't import the photos again. It is never a good idea to import the photos a second time. By default, LrC will not import photos a second time.

Instead, you need to copy (not move) the recovered photo files to the exact same folder where Lightroom Classic thinks the photos are located.

So to restore photos (this is extremely important) NO IMPORTING and NO SYNCHRONIZING OF FOLDERS.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just because you have recovered the files with recovery software does not mean that Lightroom Classic knows about these recovered files.

What did you do with the recovered files once the recovery software finished? Please explain step-by-step.

When you say “Lightroom doesn't see them”, what exact place in Lightroom Classic are you looking at? What exact function in Lightroom Classic are you using that you expect Lightroom Classic to "see" the files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the standart way of importing to Lightroom from hard drive. I drag and drop it with +sign to files area. Then Lightroom goes to the folder where they are located (I tried Documents and Desktop) but say "no photos found". 

As weel I tried File->Import. Lightroom just doesn't show anything in the folder where they are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you previously import these photos into Lightroom Classic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show us screen captures to illustrate the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Снимок экрана 2021-10-17 в 18.21.44.pngYou can see that it determines the path to the folder but act as there are no files...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rephrasing my poorly worded question above:

Did you previously import the photos (before you had a problem with the SD card — not the restored photos) into Lightroom Classic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, yes! I did. From the same card which was broken. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's why you can't import the photos again. It is never a good idea to import the photos a second time. By default, LrC will not import photos a second time.

Instead, you need to copy (not move) the recovered photo files to the exact same folder where Lightroom Classic thinks the photos are located.

So to restore photos (this is extremely important) NO IMPORTING and NO SYNCHRONIZING OF FOLDERS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! It worked, you really helped me!
I don't understand exactly your explanation, but what I did was I just created a folder on the hard drive with the corresponding date and then synchronized the folder from Lightroom... And voila - photos are in Lightroom.
Amazing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please mark the proper reply as the correct answer.

The reason it works is because the Lightroom Classic database already knew the location of the photos. By putting the restored copies in that location, now Lightroom Classic can find them again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your exact Adobe Program name and version?

Lightroom, or Lightroom Class8c, what version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Снимок экрана 2021-10-17 в 18.08.53.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a really old version. First thing to try is to update it. Classic is currently at 10.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I drag and drop it with +sign to files area. Then Lightroom goes to the folder where they are located (I tried Documents and Desktop) but say "no photos found".  As weel I tried File->Import. Lightroom just doesn't show anything in the folder where they are."

Recovery software typically can't recover the original filenames, including file extensions (e.g. .jpg, .nef, .raf).  While some software such as Finder and Preview can still sometimes figure out the file type without the extension, LR can't. 

Troubleshooting steps:

1. In Finder, do the menu command Finder > Preferences, click Advanced, and make sure Show All Filename Extensions is checked.

2. Reboot your computer (that's the easiest way to relaunch Finder and ensure the change in step 1 takes effect).

3. In Finder, navigate to the folder containing the recovered files. Are any extensions showing on their names (e.g. DSC034256.NEF, IMG_72621.JPG)?  If not, you'll have to rename the files to have the correct extensions.

4. There's no straightforward way to determine whether a file is a .jpg, .psd, .nef, .cr2, etc.  If you determine in steps 1-3 that the issue is that your recovered files don't have filename extensions, we can dive into this in more detail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! That is something I would think in first place. For sure files are incomplete somehow after recovery. But there was extention .cr2.

I checked the box you suggested and made relogin. Still the same...

Снимок экрана 2021-10-17 в 18.13.01.png

Thanks for help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure that Lightroom has access to your desktop files in "System Preferences->Security & Privacy->Privacy->Files and Folders" You'll have to do the translation to russian yourself 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CatalinaFilesandFolders.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

good to know, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines