• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom dont keep Metadata

Participant ,
Sep 12, 2021 Sep 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone. I'm trying to export some pictures in LR and LRC. In both apps, I checked export with metadata. I don't know why, but bot LR always changing my creation date. I need to keep that. I would be really happy about some ideas to fix that.

Thanks in advance. 

Hallo alle zusammen. Ich versuche, einige Bilder in LR und LRC zu exportieren. In beiden Apps habe ich den Export mit Metadaten überprüft. Ich weiß nicht warum, aber Bot LR ändert immer mein Erstellungsdatum. Das muss ich behalten. Ich würde mich sehr über ein paar Ideen freuen, das zu beheben.

Danke im Voraus.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The creation date is the date the file was created. It is not the same as the capture date, which is the data that the photo was taken. The exported file is a new file, so this file was created the moment you exported it.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for your answer. If I overwrite the original file which I duplicated it will keep the creation date. Is there no other solution? I need the original creation date to organize the pictures. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on what system / context you have in mind (where you will "organize" the pictures that you are exporting) the two most usual ways to go are:

• Refer to the "date taken" metadata - which is a meaningful attribute of a digital image specifically - instead of to the "creation date" metadata - which is a generally accidental property of a file container. "Date taken" (or equivalent terminology) can be presented as a details column in e.g. Finder or Explorer.

• And/or, include a "date taken" prefix in auto file re-naming as part of your LrC Export. Doing this has a number of advantages, including IMO how this prefix can distinguish a processed and exported JPG, from any unmodified out-of-camera JPG file name.

If the format of date included in your renaming is properly chosen (such as, the ISO standard YYYY-MM-DD) , that is an easy way to sort images chronologically, regardless of what may have happened to their creation and modification dates. Also in some contexts file metadata cannot be viewed (but the filename can be seen). In other contexts, such as web galleries, the filename may not be seen but in that case the "date taken" metadata probably will be extracted and used. Image viewing galleries and utilities know to do this and will only fall back to using file creation date, where the "date taken" field is found to be empty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for your detailed answer. I will rename the pictures next time with the creation date when saving them. Its actually more convenient for the organization later. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just to clarify the conventions here: the term 'creation date' will be understood as when this particular file was created. hence will not necessarily reflect when the photo which it shows was captured. Only for a file that was literally created in the camera when the shutter was pressed (a camera JPG / a camera Raw), are these two the same thing.

For example when a negative or slide is scanned / when a photo is sent out to Photoshop for editing, the date of scanning / of being first sent to Photoshop, is the file creation date for that brand new digital image file. This is independent of whatever metadata may also be present in this file, stating some date when the underlying photo which it represents, is known to have been physically exposed. Some scanning software will substitute whatever date of original capture you state - will "falsify" - the file creation date itself, but this sort of feature is an exception.

Generally, it is helpful to still know when this image version was edited / when it was scanned as well as recording when that photo was taken. Also it is helpful to have the date of latest modification. And you can choose which date is the basis for renaming your exports.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines