• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Edit in photoshop color of file saved/returned to Lightroom from Photoshop changes

Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello team!

I have a problem with my Lightroom/Photoshop. (both were up to date).

Tried to also downgrade for one version, but no effect.

Actual problem:

I open my photo in Lightroom and decide to edit in in photoshop, after editing (or even if no editing) is done in photoshop I save. Photos looks same in lightroom (original one) and in Photoshop (edited / non edited), however new image that is now shown in Lightroom has completely different color tone.

Example is attached for better understanding.

Any idea what might caused this problem?

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Try resetting your Photoshop preferences. Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) immediately after launching Photoshop. You will be prompted to delete the current settings. 

Some users have reported resetting Photoshop's preferences fixes an issue of profiles being removed before being saved and then accessed in Lightroom Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting your Photoshop preferences. Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) immediately after launching Photoshop. You will be prompted to delete the current settings. 

Some users have reported resetting Photoshop's preferences fixes an issue of profiles being removed before being saved and then accessed in Lightroom Classic.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, tried this on both Lightroom and Photoshop, but no success....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello to all of you and thanks, this actually worked. I did a mistake and did not delete current settings file. The window did not pop out since I tried to push and hold after application is already running.

For others, resetting works but you really have to push and hold buttons before application is up and running.

Best regards! and thanks again 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2022 Jun 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I encountered this issue after the latest updates. This solution worked so now I don't have to do my work around anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2022 Oct 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue now. I edit Lightroom photo's via Photoshop weekly, never any issues. Did it 5 days ago, all good. Now suddenly images seemed normal in Photoshop but greyisch green back in Lightroom. This did the trick perfectly, thanks so much! No clue why now though, not related to any updates between now and the last time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 24, 2022 Dec 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, exactly my problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!  Just ran into this problem and it was an eassy solve per your recommendation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure when comparing images in Lightroom Classic and Photoshop that first, you view the image in Lightroom Classic in Develop module at 1:1 zoom. IF have your Edit In preferences set for anything but ProPhoto RGB, say sRGB, set up a soft proof for that color space, again in Develop. Then compare in Photoshop at the same zoom (100%).

If that doesn't work, a few things to try in each application, disable GPU in preferences; better? 

If not, recalibrate and build a new ICC display profile, the old one might be corrupted.

If you are using software/hardware for this task, be sure the software is set to build a matrix not LUT profile, Version 2 not Version 4 profile.

If turning OFF GPU works, it's a GPU bug and you need to contact the manufacturer or find out if there's an updated driver for it. On the Mac, that's part of the OS update(s) so if this is the latest OS version, you may need to roll back a release. 

Also see: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/acr-gpu-faq.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, tried all this as well, but did not help...

I think the problem is somehow photoshop save, because not only that it looks different in photoshop, actual tiff file is also different. Color shift is obvious and picture become way more "green".

Attached is also example of raw file vs tiff file saved from photoshop.

Any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on the version, you should not be viewing the TIFF in the Windows Photo Viewer. 

You say raw vs. TIFF. I need to see the raw in the Develop module, soft proofed to whatever profile is used to export that raw. Then that TIFF in Photoshop or a known color managed application, both at the same zoom ratio, ideally 1:1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has to be the same bug we've seen quite a few cases of lately: the embedded ProPhoto profile from Photoshop is not honored in Lightroom, and the image treated as sRGB.

The screenshots show this very clearly: this is how ProPhoto looks without proper color management. Just try for yourself: assign sRGB to a ProPhoto file in Photoshop. This is exactly how it looks.

In all other cases reported here so far, resetting Photoshop preferences has fixed it. So try again, and make sure you do it right. Your old files may still be affected, so try a new roundtrip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggested that could be the issue with a recommendation to reset prefs that has been a fix. We were told that doesn't work. I give up <g>.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I know. Just wanted to bring the point all the way home 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

Can anyone assist with the following issue between LRC and PS

1. I have an image in LR Classic.

2. From the Develop Module I right click the image and select "Edit in Adobe Photoshop 2022..."

3. The image then loads in Adobe Photoshop as expected.

4. I do nothing to the image in Photoshop just press save.

5. The image is transferred back as a new image in LRC but the colour has changed (much more muted and cooler).

Why?

macOS Monterey v12.3.1
16" MacBook Pro M1 May (64GB)
Photoshop version 23.3.2
Lightroom Classic v11.3.1

Many Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a color space issue. Check your Photoshop Color Settings and make sure that 'Preserve Embedded Profiles' is checked for profile mismatches.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI John ... .Thanks for getting back to me.

I'm getting a little closer.

I checked the Colour settings and they are all set to Preserve Embedded Profiles (see attached screenshot).  I also enabled Profile Mismatches and get the attached dialog box when opening the file in PS.

Does any of this help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A number of people have reported these symptoms recently.  First, try resetting Photoshop's preferences:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#reset_preferences

If that doesn't fix it, then after saving a file in PS back to LR, reopen it in PS and do Edit > Assign Profile and assign it ProPhoto RGB (or whichever color profile you've selected in LR's Preferences > External Editing > Color Space).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John ... That is helpful.  Yes I believe it is using ProPhoto RGB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes ... Thank You 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated lightroom classic and photoshop last week and since then I've been having issues. I'm on apple silicon iMac Monterey 12.3.1

- After sending an image from lightroom classic to photoshop, performing some edits, then clicking save to send it back to lightroom classic the coloring is all off. I discovered if I save it then create another layer and save the image again the coloring will go back to normal in lightroom but it's super annoying, time-consuming, and doesn't always work.

- When changing an image to black and white it doesn't work most of the time now. 

- Lightroom classic is a lot slower since after the update

- I've noticed it doesn't always save my work while working. I'll make a few edits then go back to a previously edited image and the edits are gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines