• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom encountered an error when reading from its preview cache and needs to quit

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2023 Apr 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

suritech_0-1682290120207.png

I've tried, deleting the preview cache folders and letting lightroom recreate (about 15 - 20 times). I've tried uninstalling and installing lightroom about 6 or 7 times. I've optimized the catalogue a number of times as well.  I cannot figure this issue out for the last two months and have only been able to use lightroom one photo at a time. I would be forever grateful if someone had other suggestions! The catalogue file that I am using here works flawlessly on a Mac. 

Thank you

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @suritech, welcome to the Lightroom Community. We'll need more information to help you figure this out. Could you please share the system info of Lightroom Classic from Help > System info > Copy & paste into a text document > upload and share with us here?

Here are a few things you can check that can help identify the cause of this:

• The catalog and related files are stored in a OneDrive or any other backup service-related folder, causing it to sync repeatedly.
  • The catalog and its related files are stored on a failing external drive that might fail due to regular reads & writes.

Try taking a backup of the catalog & keep the catalog on the internal drive & launch Lightroom Classic by double-clicking the backup catalog.

Let me know how it goes. Thanks!
Sameer K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this keeps happening, then the most likely conclusion is that your hard disk is malfunctioning and needs to be replaced. Another possibility is if the catalog file and folder containing it are being mirrored to the cloud (like DropBox or OneDrive or similar).

Assuming that its not being mirrored to the cloud:

As a temporary alternative, if you can copy your catalog to a different disk and open the catalog on that different disk, that should work well. (As a less likely to be successful alternative, you could try creating a brand new folder on the same disk, copy the catalog to that folder, and then try opening this copy of the catalog). But really, replacing the hard disk is the way to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2023 Apr 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had this happen. It's LightRoom's fault.

The storage device is a flawless internal SSD. Tested.

RAM is not at fault. Tested.

Video card is not at fault. Tested.

Operating systems is not at fault.

My LR Catalogue is stored on the same nvme drive where LR is installed, no cloud backups on my machine.

Has anyone actually worked on this LR issue and come up with a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could still try moving the catalog to a different folder or different drive to see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I considered moving the Catalogue as you suggested, but ultimately decided against it. During my testing, I found that keeping Lightroom (LR) open was necessary to identify the problem while it was active. Moving the Catalogue would require closing LR, which could suggest a hardware issue - not ideal since I have reliable hardware and precise control over my software. Therefore, my last option was to allow LR to reload its processes, which successfully resolved the error. However, I am now concerned about future failures and the possibility of encountering random unknown errors. As a paying customer, I expect a reliable product and I'm seeking a solution from Adobe's side or someone knowledgeable like yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines