Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Enviroment sync issue after travel

Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

During my recent travel I decided to not carry my laptop and to "backup" my pics every evening by pulling JPGs through the WIFI of the CAM on my mobile and import it into LR Mobile. The pics have been rated and some also developed. The result was at least for Instagram sufficient 😉

Now at home I imported the RAW into LR Classic and synced it into the folder generated through my import into LR Mobile. My expectation was that LR would recognize the already generated Metadata and link it.

But now I have every pic twice in my catalog. The jpg imported through LR Mobile and the RAW unrated.

Does anybody has an idea how to solve my issue?

Thanks

Michael

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Hi @Theresa J , The problem for the OP is that JPGs were imported and rated in Lightroom, etc. Then the raws were imported directly to Lr-Classic. So there are two independent image files JPG+raw, imported independently.

And it is exactly the sort of scenario that Syncomatic is designed to handle.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might suggest a Plugin like Syncomatic to do this job efficiently-

https://www.photographers-toolbox.com/products/jbeardsworth/syncomatic/

http://lightroomsolutions.com/syncomatic-4-0/

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where you went wrong was importing the images again to Lightroom Classic. Next time just let the images in the Lightroom cloud download to Classic. They will download to the location you have set up for Lightroom sync. If you didn't specify a specific location in the preferences for the sync download they go to your pictures folder. After the sync is complete and all the images are downloaded you can use Lightroom to move the photos someplace else. All of the edits and any other metadata will be kept.

The simplest solution may be to remove the images you just imported into Classic and work with the images downloaded from the sync.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Theresa J , The problem for the OP is that JPGs were imported and rated in Lightroom, etc. Then the raws were imported directly to Lr-Classic. So there are two independent image files JPG+raw, imported independently.

As you suggest the JPGs did sync down to Classic, but they will now show beside the un-rated, un-edited, raws (sorted by Filename).

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Rob_Cullen. I didn't read the OP close enough and missed that JPGs were originally imported. Too bad. Could have imported the raws while traveling and there wouldn't have been any problems later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All,

thanks so far for assisting in solving my issue.

@Theresa J I would have imported RAWs into LR Mobile if I would have the opportunity just to sync Smartpreviews into the cloud. Just think about you want to upload 10GB in the evening through the Hotel WIFI or your broadcast. 

I in the mean time found a work around. On Windows level I used Exiftool to generate XMP out of the synced JPGs. After that I deleted the JPGs out of the folder (by moving the to a backup folder) and left the XMP next to the RAW. Last I synced the folder in LR classic again and everything beside the "Marking" has been in place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And it is exactly the sort of scenario that Syncomatic is designed to handle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rob_Cullen @john beardsworth 

After I found the below descripted manual way of dealing with my issue, I tried also Syncomatic as well.

AND IT WORKS!

Now LR Mobile and getting a JPG via Wifi during travel makes sence for the first time.

Thank you both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Syncomatic has been around since long before LrMobile, and for a period after LrMobile was introduced it wasn't even possible to import raw files directly. People then started using the plugin after importing JPEGs like you've done - you've come to the method a few years late 😉 . You were lucky in that you felt confident with Exiftool and xmp files, but it's always good to have a choice of alternatives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm telling you before I entered my question here I asked several Coworkers and in other German photographer forums and nobody had a clue how to fix it beside going the difficult way through XMP.

But I already shared my experience there to further introduce that tool 😉

I have to say that I used the GUI exiftool which is much better to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't know about you, but until now I always carry a laptop with me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines