• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom fails to import pictures - unknown error

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2023 Mar 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since recently my lightroom started to fail to import pictures.

When I create a new fresh catalog it works fine. However, when trying to re-import that new catalog into my old one LR fails with an unknown error.

How can this be fixed and I will be able to import pictures again?

I am using 12.2.1

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does use File>Optimize Catalog make a difference? Normally I'd suspect preferences here, but as it's working on a new catalog, it means it's the current catalog. 

Another option is to go to All Photographs in the Catalog panel, then go to File>Export as Catalog. No need to include the originals as they're still in place. 

eac.jpg

You'll lose any Publish Services that are active, but the process creates a cleaner catalog. Open the new catalog by double clicking on it. 

Also make sure Full Disk Access is turned on. 

https://www.solve.uk.com/post/how-to-grant-full-disk-access-in-macos-ventura

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, I did something similar by manually importing the old catalog into the new one.

As LR works with a new catalog - the full disk access property cannot be the root cause.

Is there any chance I could keep the publish services?

However, when enabling full disk access the old catalog can re-import the fresh one (which failed previously)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export as catalog doesn't keep Publish Services. It's the one issue I have with it.

The main issue I have going your route is that Import from Another Catalog completely locks Lightroom out and uses the old Lightroom 2 import dialog. But, that said, it should work fine now that you can actually import it and don't mind the wait. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"As LR works with a new catalog - the full disk access property cannot be the root cause."

Not necessarily.  When LR doesn't have Full Disk Access granted, it can behave very strangely.  Triple-check that it is granted:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/quick-tips-how-to-give-full-disk-access...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2023 Apr 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to import some images again. Now, the access is granted - strangely, LR still silently fails to import.

When using an empty catalog it works - and then when back-importing that catalog into LR it works again - but this really is not good.

Where can I see some logs why it is failing in the first place?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2023 Apr 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Strangely: When creating a folder and enabling automatic import - that option works. Only the direct import screen fails. Still - this is super annoying. How can I get the logs to see what is failing in the first place?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines