• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom freezes upon pressing anything other than Preferences

Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2021 Jul 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i've just build a new PC to replace my old laptop for editing, the specs are written below,

OS: Windows 10 Pro (the latest, as of writing this post)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 (i overclocked it to 4.20Ghz)

GPU: MSI RX580 8GB

RAM: 2x8GB OLOy DDR4 3600Mhz (overclocked to 3800Mhz)

Storage Devices: Trasncend 512GB NVMe SSD (as Windows drive, Lightroom is also installed here), and an external 4TB harddrive to store data.

the issue is, everytime i pressed Import, Lightroom freezes up on me, then 5 minutes later it opens up. is this normal? after i press my C drive (i disconnected my harddrive, just to make sure),  it freezes up for another 5 minutes.

i've tried going back to 9.4, but it seems like it doesn't fix the issue. Can anyone help me?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for answering.

This Lightroom Classic is a fresh install on my PC. nevertheless, i've tried it, and it didn't change anything, as it still freezes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an experiment, try turning off your Anti-Virus software and your internet firewall. (You might want to disconnect from the internet first, actually remove the cable from your computer)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have any anti-virus software in my computer, and also no firewall. This PC is mainly used to do work stuff so i won't install anything aside from core softwares. I use a LAN connection to this PC.

As this is an empty new catalog, i declined Sync with Lightroom Mobile (i still have my old Catalog in my Lightroom Mobile). so it shouldn't be a problem, but i'll test it later when i got home.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 (i overclocked it to 4.20Ghz)

What happens  if you are not overclocking?

And why? If this is not for gaming?

People dispute if overclocking causes LrCissues, may be older Lr versions that had issues, may be method of overclocking, maybe difference in CPU's (within a mfg)

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-freezing-overclocke...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Overclocking still is the best way to maximize the potential of the hardware. I still have a lot of thermal headroom (only 50°C when browsing, ambient temps are around 26-29°C). I do use this to compile microcontrollers, so i don't see any reason on why i shouldn't overclock within reasonable limits

That said, i'll check later when i got home. The old laptop that i used was undervolted and underclocked to reduce heat (bad thermal solution, plagues almost every ultrabook) ran it flawlessly. I'll try turning the overclock off when i got home

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RAM: 2x8GB OLOy DDR4 3600Mhz (overclocked to 3800Mhz)

Overclocking the RAM? Hmmmmm.

P.S. test one thing at a time, Might want to test not overclocking the RAM before not overclocking the CPU, 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unlike Intel based systems, AMD Ryzen processors' performance are closely tied to memory speeds. The XMP (the factory calibrated profile) is on 3600Mhz, and adding 200Mhz gives much higher memory bandwith

That said, i'll try reverting my overclocks later when i got home

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, this is my update post.

i've reverted the CPU OC settings in my motherboard to Default/Auto, and here is the results. Lightroom is still doing "nothing", still freezes when i press import

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, i'll read it later when i got home. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing you dud not mention, a cold boot of your Windows computer, nit just a warm boot, a cold boot, turn it off, wait a few, turn it on.

Any change?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always completely shut off my computer at night, so i don't think trying a cold boot will do anything. I disabled Fast Startup as it's not needed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2021 Jul 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, thanks for those who tried to help me earlier. This is an update to my situation

I've confirmed that Lightroom (the non-Classic one) works, with all of  my overclocks, and Lightroom Classic works too. BUT, the Import button still made my Lightroom Classic froze. the Develop tab runs flawlessly, just like i remember it in my old laptop. The current workaround i found is:

Open Lightroom Classic in my old laptop

Import the photos, export as Catalog

then on my desktop, i clicked on import from another catalog. this way it works fine. it loads fine. without having to temper anything with my system (overclocks and such).

It seems that my old catalog also made it freeze, somehow. i've left it running around 10hrs with literally zero progress using the Import From Another Catalog button. So i'm gonna try exporting it in parts.

Nevertheless, the question still isn't answered. Is this normal for a Ryzen system? since i've seen someone with a Ryzen CPU back in Jan 2021 also had a problem similar to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines