• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom HSL & Color Adjustment Brush Masking

New Here ,
May 30, 2019 May 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone else think that an HSL and Color adjustment should be added to the Adjustment Brush masking tool? I shoot a lot of cars and portraits. My issue is mainly with shooting cars as there are fluorescent ceiling lights in the garage studio creating a lot of blue haze in some of my images; however, if I turn down my blue saturation for the haze in my shadows in HSL and I'm shooting a blue car or a car with emblems that are blue, I lose those colors as well. It would be beneficial to be able to mask these haze colors with an adjustment brush in LR instead of having to go to Photoshop or jury-rigging a preset of mine in calibration or messing with a lot of other brush masks. That can be very time-consuming so I end up not even bothering. How do I put this in some suggestion box for Adobe to possibly add it in a future update? Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feature requests should be made at https://feedback.photoshop.com. Go there and search for this request to add your vote to it (this has been requested many times), don’t post a new request.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

calebscott  wrote

Does anyone else think that an HSL and Color adjustment should be added to the Adjustment Brush masking tool?

I have seen this requested a LOT and I too would like to have HSL local adjustments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have faced similar issues shooting interiors with mixed lighting.

To correct this I use the white balance adjustments in the brush with excellent results. Another possibility is giving the brush a slight tint of the complementary colour e.g an orange tint to compensate for a blue cast.

You can combine either method with auto-masking where appropriate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I've tried using those mask sliders before; however, I usually have to adjust other HSL sliders or use a small brush to compensate for other colors it might be changing that I don't want changed. Both are tedious which is why I've been wanting a feature like I'm describing for a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

calebscott  wrote

My issue is mainly with shooting cars as there are fluorescent ceiling lights in the garage studio creating a lot of blue haze in some of my images; however, if I turn down my blue saturation for the haze in my shadows in HSL and I'm shooting a blue car or a car with emblems that are blue, I lose those colors as well. It would be beneficial to be able to mask these haze colors with an adjustment brush in LR....

You can do that now with the new Color Range Mask tool. It works quite well once you understand how to use it. Here's an example:

https://www.phototraces.com/lightroom-tutorials/lightroom-range-mask/

calebscott  wrote

Does anyone else think that an HSL and Color adjustment should be added to the Adjustment Brush masking tool? I shoot a lot of cars and portraits.

Yes, and you can add your 'Me To' vote and 'Follow' at the request here:

Lightroom/Camera Raw: HSL controls for adjustment brush and gradient tools | Photoshop Family Custom...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2022 Sep 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely it should.  Now I need to go to Luminar Neo to do this - really disappointing that I can't stay in the Adobe ecosystem to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2022 Sep 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely it should. AND IT DOES!

Now I need to go to Luminar Neo to do this YOU DON'T!

2022-09-06 10_07_26-Clipboard.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2023 Mar 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think that covers what is being discussed - with those sliders you can't change specific colour channels - for example: Desaturating only blues from an area while leaving the blue saturation outside of the mask untouched.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think that covers what is being discussed - with those sliders you can't change specific colour channels - for example: Desaturating only blues from an area while leaving the blue saturation outside of the mask untouched.

By @joshs10570892

For that example, you can do it in a few seconds by creating a mask group:

1. Mask off the area using whatever mask works fastest (Object, People, Radial Gradient, Brush…).

2. Create a Color Range sub-mask, but specifically using the Intersect option. This is the key to the whole thing.

3. Click or drag the Color Range mask eyedropper to target the specific color range of blue that you want.

4. With the Color Range mask still selected, reduce Saturation in the options for that mask.

Because the color range mask is intersected with the spatial mask, the blue desaturation applies only to the area within the mask. In the demo below, you can see that I brushed a mask across both blue and yellow colors, but because an intersected Color Range mask targets blues, the yellow area of the mask is unaffected.

The real power of these masks is in using Add, Subtract, Intersect, and sometimes Invert to create mask type combinations that are far more flexible than any individual mask type can be by itself. I am constantly amazed at how many problems can be solved by combining multiple mask types in specific ways.

The demo also shows two ways to get to the Intersect feature: You can click the ellipsis (…) menu that appears when you hover the pointer over the mask, or you can hold down Option (Mac) or Alt (Windows) to change the Add/Subtract buttons to Intersect. (That’s why you see the Intersect button come and go, I’m pressing/releasing the Option key until finally Option-clicking it.)

Lightroom Classic intersect area with color range mask.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Create a Color Range sub-mask, but specifically using the Intersect option. This is the key to the whole thing.

Great explanation, @Conrad C 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines