Lightroom HSL & Color Adjustment Brush Masking

New Here ,
May 30, 2019 May 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone else think that an HSL and Color adjustment should be added to the Adjustment Brush masking tool? I shoot a lot of cars and portraits. My issue is mainly with shooting cars as there are fluorescent ceiling lights in the garage studio creating a lot of blue haze in some of my images; however, if I turn down my blue saturation for the haze in my shadows in HSL and I'm shooting a blue car or a car with emblems that are blue, I lose those colors as well. It would be beneficial to be able to mask these haze colors with an adjustment brush in LR instead of having to go to Photoshop or jury-rigging a preset of mine in calibration or messing with a lot of other brush masks. That can be very time-consuming so I end up not even bothering. How do I put this in some suggestion box for Adobe to possibly add it in a future update? Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feature requests should be made at https://feedback.photoshop.com. Go there and search for this request to add your vote to it (this has been requested many times), don’t post a new request.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

calebscott  wrote

Does anyone else think that an HSL and Color adjustment should be added to the Adjustment Brush masking tool?

I have seen this requested a LOT and I too would like to have HSL local adjustments.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have faced similar issues shooting interiors with mixed lighting.

To correct this I use the white balance adjustments in the brush with excellent results. Another possibility is giving the brush a slight tint of the complementary colour e.g an orange tint to compensate for a blue cast.

You can combine either method with auto-masking where appropriate.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I've tried using those mask sliders before; however, I usually have to adjust other HSL sliders or use a small brush to compensate for other colors it might be changing that I don't want changed. Both are tedious which is why I've been wanting a feature like I'm describing for a while.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

calebscott  wrote

My issue is mainly with shooting cars as there are fluorescent ceiling lights in the garage studio creating a lot of blue haze in some of my images; however, if I turn down my blue saturation for the haze in my shadows in HSL and I'm shooting a blue car or a car with emblems that are blue, I lose those colors as well. It would be beneficial to be able to mask these haze colors with an adjustment brush in LR....

You can do that now with the new Color Range Mask tool. It works quite well once you understand how to use it. Here's an example:

https://www.phototraces.com/lightroom-tutorials/lightroom-range-mask/

calebscott  wrote

Does anyone else think that an HSL and Color adjustment should be added to the Adjustment Brush masking tool? I shoot a lot of cars and portraits.

Yes, and you can add your 'Me To' vote and 'Follow' at the request here:

Lightroom/Camera Raw: HSL controls for adjustment brush and gradient tools | Photoshop Family Custom...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2022 Sep 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely it should.  Now I need to go to Luminar Neo to do this - really disappointing that I can't stay in the Adobe ecosystem to do this.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2022 Sep 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Absolutely it should. AND IT DOES!

Now I need to go to Luminar Neo to do this YOU DON'T!

2022-09-06 10_07_26-Clipboard.jpg

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 11.5 Photoshop 23.5.1, ACR 14.5, Lightroom 5.5, Lr-iOS 7.0.2, Bridge 12.0.3, Windows-10.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines