• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom image sizing

New Here ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When checking my images (from Nikon Z6) Windows Explorer indicates a size of 6064x4040 pixels whilst LR Classic v10 and PS v22.2  both indicate a size of 6048x4024 pixels - a loss of 16 pixels on width and height. If I transfer an image to DXo Photolab4 and apply lens sharpness and/or Prime noise reduction adjustments the image returned to LR has more detail around the edge of the frame than the original which seems to indiacte that the 16 lost pixels have been restored.  Anyone else have this issue?  

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are working with a .nef raw file check in the develop module and see under lens correction if there is an indication of “Built-in Lens Profile applied”.

This indicates that the camera you are using has placed that in the raw data file.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To elaborate on that: if Lightroom or Camera Raw has applied a lens profile, the image can become pin-cushion distorted ever so slightly as a result of that correction. To avoid seeing empty spaces in the middle of the image edges because of that distortion, it is cropped a bit.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sensor specs directly from Nikon site.  LrC is reading what Nikon shows

Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 9.33.37 AM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The true sensor size is often slightly more. The reason for this is that demosaicing edge pixels may give artefacts, because you can only interpolate from one side. That is why Nikon and Lightroom cut these off, while another raw editor may not. Long ago I got into a discussion with a stock agent, who accused me of using interpolation to make my images bigger. I tried to explain to him (in vain) that I did not interpolate, but that my software (Apple Aperture at that time) also did not cut off the edge pixels. Because he continued to say that I did something wrong, I decided to slightly crop my pictures so they got the 'correct' size, just to make him happy.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info @JohanElzenga 

Good story about the stock agent.  Unfortunately things like this are still happening.   For instance, I seen recent thread where a photo contest wanted 5 megabyte mimimum size JPG files instead of 5 megapixels.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As Johan  has correctly stated, not all sensor pixels are used for the image (some are used to collect white balance info).

Nothing to worry about here. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines