Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom import issue

New Here ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys I'm hoping you can help.

Ok for years I have been plugging my D5100 into the pc and using ViewNX2 to download my photos. I then import that folder in Lightroom. That has worked perfectly without any problem.

I now have a new camera, a D500 and thought I'd do the same process and it all appeared to transfer over via the ViewNx2 software as normal. The problem arises when I try to bring that folder into Lightroom. I usually get a thumb preview of the nef file but at the moment this is saying no preview available. If you then try and import the files as normal i get a box pop up with 'some import operations were not performed' and then a list of the files that it failed on.

I'm not sure what's going on seeing as it's worked perfectly in the past. Do I need to alter the way I bring files into Lightroom now with the D500? Any help would be much appreciated.

Lightroom V 9.4 , Camera raw 12.4 , Windows 7 home premium, 64bitOS, 

I've not updated recently because when I had everything set to auto update Photoshop etc didnt play nice because I believe my version of windows casues a problem. I have to disable auto updates now until I get a new version of windows installed. I would have thoguth that the D500 would be more than covered in the versions I'm using seeing as it came ut a few years ago.

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Older versions of ViewNx have been known to make files unreadable by Lightroom, but I don't know if that's the case here.

In any case, there is no need to use third party software to copy files to your computer.

I use a card reader (safer, faster and less error prone than connecting the camera) and the File explorer to copy the files to my computer. I've been doing this for 12 years (since LR 2) with six different Nikon cameras, and have never had any problems. So I suggest that you try this workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for the quick response. 

I wasn't aware of that and it sounds like it might be the case here.

Yeah I dont have a XQD card reader. It's something I need to get.

Having had the D5100 for so long and doing it that way I just thought I'd try it and initially I thought yes nice one but that didnt remain the case.

I have since plugged the camera into the pc and imported the files into a new folder and then from there into Lightroom and it worked. So I'm guessing the ViewNx software does something Lightroom doesnt like.

New camera means a new workflow looking at it.The card reader sounds like the way to go 🙂

Again many thanks for taking the time and responding much appreciated.

Stay safe. Dave 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"...imported the files into a new folder and then from there into Lightroom. "

So why don't you make it even easier by eliminating another step?

Simply use the Import dialog to do everything! ie. Copy the files from the camera card (in a card reader) to a folder specified in the Import dialog. Done, finished!

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines