Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom is creating a new folder when merging and HDR or Panorama

New Here ,
Sep 26, 2018 Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I cannot figure out this issue for the life of me. If I try to create an HDR or Panorama in Lightroom it creates a new folder in the folders and puts that new image in that folder rather than the existing folder which is where I would like ti to go. It does this if I use Photoshop to create hem as well. When I save from Photoshop Lightroom creates a new folder for the image. It only seems to do this in the folder list in Lightroom. If I go to the folders in finder the image is in the proper place. It didn't used to do this it just started at some point. I have done quite of bit of research on this and the only things I have found are making sure my export settings are correct, which they are and also about updating folder location, which doesn't work and just messes up my folder structure. Anyone run into this issue? Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Export dialog window make sure the field "Export To:" is set to "Same Folder as original photo". To make that Stick you have to actually export an image, any image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jcocci  wrote

Hello,

I cannot figure out this issue for the life of me. If I try to create an HDR or Panorama in Lightroom it creates a new folder in the folders and puts that new image in that folder rather than the existing folder which is where I would like ti to go. It does this if I use Photoshop to create hem as well. When I save from Photoshop Lightroom creates a new folder for the image. It only seems to do this in the folder list in Lightroom. If I go to the folders in finder the image is in the proper place.

It didn't used to do this it just started at some point. I have done quite of bit of research on this and the only things I have found are making sure my export settings are correct, which they are and also about updating folder location, which doesn't work and just messes up my folder structure. Anyone run into this issue? Thanks.

The "new folder" that appears in Lightroom- Does it have the same name as the folder containing the original image files? ie. If you right-click on each of these folders and "open in Finder" are you taken to the exact same folder?

Seeing two folders in Lightroom (the 'new' and the 'source') possibly indicates some corruption with your catalog.

These symptoms are characteristic of the "Duplicate Folder" bug.  See- Lightroom: Creates duplicate folder after Photoshop edit or Import from disk | Photoshop Family Cust...

This 'bug' also cannot be corrected by updating folder location- there needs to be a specific order of steps to fix. (and Jim Wilde always seems to have the answers for this "Duplicate" bug.)

FYI- The edit functions in Lightroom [Merge to HDR, Merge to Panorama]- Do not involve any Export functions, so I am not understanding why you would need to "make sure export settings are correct". (Edit-in Photoshop is different)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just recently run into a similar issue when using Photo Merge and round tripping with Photoshop, but not with On1Photo.

When I try to move the photos from the new folder into the original photo folder, the program tells me that the photo is already in the folder. However, when using the Library view, it is not in the folder (see screenshot below). When I use Import to add the photo to the catalog, I can see the photo already in the folder and it is greyed out - not allowing me to select/deselect the photo like I can with the rest of the photos in that folder. I was originally alerted to this issue when the PhotoMerge gave the error message that it could not stack the new photos with the originals because of the file locations being in different folders. See screenshot #1

Screenshot #1.png

Unlike the original poster that highlighted this issue, I don't use Dropbox or any other file service to manage my photos. My photo catalog is on an external harddrive, called Photos and Writing, with Import photos going into a folder called Photos, allowing Lightroom to manage the rest of the nameing structure.

Screenshot #2 below shows the extra folders that seems to be in their own "2022" folder - outside of my Photos/2022/date convention that I'm using. When I use the system file finder (running MacOS 12.2.1) to search for those photos, I find them them in the Photos/2022/date folders.

Screenshot #2.png

I have searched the program for file handling/saving options/customizations, but I'm not seeing any. So I can't even guess what I might've accidentally switched. What makes this odd is that Lightroom both sees the photo in the correct folder, but then sees the photo in another folder that doesn't exist.

Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem for both HDR and pano merges, discovered it when I got the same message "Could not create stack" because LR thinks the images are in different folders. The merged images are in fact going to the same sub-folder as the originals on the disk but Lightroom is telling me they're in a separate folder outside the master parent folder. The new folder has the same name as the original subfolder. Any ideas or suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You most certainly are suffering the "Capitalization" problem.

The previous links in this thread are from 2018- out of date!

Read the necessary fix by @JohanElzenga  in this Forum thread-

DUPLICATE FOLDERS FIX

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion Rob but that doesn't fix the problem. The large and small caps are identical in both sub-folder names. I tried the fix anyway - I had no problem updating the "wrong" folder location to the Capital Fix folder but when I ttried to merge with the correct sub-folder it reverted to the "wrong" sub-folder outside the parent folder again, right back where it started. This is only happening with photo merged dngs. It all worked fine yesterday, not sure what changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the suggestion Rob but that doesn't fix the problem. The large and small caps are identical in both sub-folder names. I tried the fix anyway - I had no problem updating the "wrong" folder location to the Capital Fix folder but when I ttried to merge with the correct sub-folder it reverted to the "wrong" sub-folder outside the parent folder again, right back where it started. This is only happening with photo merged dngs. It all worked fine yesterday, not sure what changed.

By @Strand2014

Use the fix on the parent folder.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WobertC​ is almost certainly correct, this sounds very much like the "capitalisation issue". Suggest you post a screenshot of the Folders Panel which shows the "new" folders as well as the folders that you expected Lightroom to use, then we'll be able to suggest a way to resolve the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Thanks for the replies. I will take  a look at that link when I have some time later tonight, on my way out the door for the day. Here is a screen shot of my folder structure. The highlighted HDR folder is the original. At the bottom you see a new HDR folder where the photo is placed. When I look in finder in OSX the image is in the correct folder (exact same folder as original files), meaning there is not a duplicate folder created on my drive. In this case this was using the merge to HDR function within Lightroom. Doing the HDR process through Photoshop does the same thing. I had this fixed at one point but cannot remember how I did it but the problem has returned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you hover the cursor over each of the two "HDR" folders in turn, a tool-tip will appear which shows the full file-system path to the folder. Can you let me know what the two paths are.....if it's the problem that we think it is, the path should be almost identical except that one character at least will have a different case, i.e. one will be capitalised, the other won't be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2018 Sep 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the help. Since my last post I have deleted that new HDR file and folder so can't check what you mentioned above. I also was looking at the file names in my Lightroom folder. I noticed that some of the Lightroom Catalog files were lower case "l" and "c" and some were upper case "L" and "C". This may have not been the proper way to fix that but I changed the files names to all be the same and got ride of some duplicate looking files. Making copies of all of them before doing this of course.  Since doing this the problem seems to have been fixed. I've tried merging some different photos in different folders and they are ending up where they should be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2018 Oct 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well maybe I spoke too soon. Problem seems to have returned. I checked what you asked Jim and the pathes were exactly the same. I am running Lightroom on two computers both using the same folder containing my images and also the same catalog files. Using Dropbox to keep everything in sync. Everything does work doing this. This folder issue is all.

I just tested your solution above to one folder an tested merging into a pano and it put the image in the proper place. I will test this further with other folders and see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2018 Oct 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen this happening with people who use Dropbox like you. Their username on one computer was with a capital, while the (same) username on the other one was all lower caps. So for example ‘John’ and ‘john’.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2018 Oct 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, I will check that but pretty sure the login is case sensitive so wouldn't  log me in anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jcocci  wrote

Hmm, I will check that but pretty sure the login is case sensitive so wouldn't  log me in anyway.

MacOS X and Windows aren't case-sensitive, but Lightroom is. That is exactly the reason why you can have this 'capitalisation problem'.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure I understand. Lightroom isn't signing into Dropbox my OS is so how would make a difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jcocci  wrote

Not sure I understand. Lightroom isn't signing into Dropbox my OS is so how would make a difference?

If Dropbox syncs between two accounts with the same name but different capitalisation, then that apparently can lead to duplicate paths that are not recognised by your (case-insensitive) OS, but are recognised by (case-sensitive) Lightroom. It has always been a mystery as to why and how it occurs, but the 'capitalisation problem' itself is clear.

Mind you: I'm not saying that Dropbox is causing this. Nobody seems to know exactly what causes it. I'm just saying that the problem itself is known and clear, and that I have seen it occur with people who used Dropbox with two accounts that only differ in capitalisation. Could be a coincidence, though, because the problem also occurs with people who do not use Dropbox at all.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought Dropbox was case sensitive but apparently it is not. I will double check that when I get home.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines