• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom is deleting edits of photos I'm still working on.

New Here ,
Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Twice in the last week Lightroom has reset all edits on photos of mine.  When I'm editing, I'll import a number of raw files, then "create a virtual copy" of each as I go to edit it.  I leave the original file as is, and edit the virtual copy.  I always have a bunch of  photos in the collection at the bottom of the screen, and I'll go back and forth between them as I edit.  The same way I've always done it.  Lately Lightroom has randomly reset a couple of my virtual copies.  When I scroll back to a photo I've been working on, I'll find it has been reverted to an exact copy of the raw file.  Its frustrating to loose hours of editing work.

I updated Lightroom yesterday, and I'm hoping that will fix the issue.  I'm just wondering if it's something I'm doing wrong?  Or if there's a better way to go about things?  Thanks guys!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Look at the Edit History panel of your virtual copy. What does it show?

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Do the sliders reflect the final edited position?

If you click on the top-most entry in the history panel and then click on the bottom-most entry, you see no difference, but you should see a difference? What if you click on one of the middle entries?

I ask because sometimes I outsmart myself, I make a dozen edits to the photo, only to find out that the dozen edits has resulted in an edited photo that is visually indistinguishable from the unedited photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I don't understand the reasoning of creating a virtual copy to leave the original file "as is" — becuase Lightroom never adjusts, edits or changes the image portion of your original file — Lightroom does not on its own delete your edits from a virtual copy or from an original. I suspect that you have accidentally imported the photo twice, and so one import its associated virtual copy has edits, and the other import associated virtual copy has no edits.

Please do a search for one of these photos by following ALL FOUR of these steps:

1. In the Lightroom Library Module, on the left, under Catalog, click on All Photographs
2. Turn off all filters (Ctrl-L once or twice)
3. Turn off all stacking (Photo->Stacking->Expand All Stacks)
4. Search for at least one of these photos by file name using the Lightroom Filter Bar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice! I followed your steps, but unfortunately it did not work, I’m still left with the original and an untouched copy of the original. It’s possible that I hit the “reset all” button, but I don’t think so, I’m pretty careful.

Both times this happened I was scrolling through my photos with the cursor keys, so I could see the copy and the original coming across the bottom (original - colour, copy - B&W). Only to find, when I stop on the copy it opens on the screen in colour, and both “thumbnails” on the bottom are then in colour too. I’ve always had the same workflow, and only had this problem in the last week (twice).

As for why I create virtual copies, I often like to edit the same photo in a couple different ways. I just thought it would be easiest to have the original there to go back to, copy, and start another edit from scratch.

Get Outlook for iOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at the Edit History panel of your virtual copy. What does it show?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stupid me! I never realized it shows the edit history! I see it there now, and it shows all the edits I made (contrast, highlights, etc), then the last thing it shows is export to hard drive. While I did export to hard drive, I will often, and did in this case, want to go back and adjust things. However, though it does show all my edits in the history, the photo appears there the same as the original (which is also there).

Get Outlook for iOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do the sliders reflect the final edited position?

If you click on the top-most entry in the history panel and then click on the bottom-most entry, you see no difference, but you should see a difference? What if you click on one of the middle entries?

I ask because sometimes I outsmart myself, I make a dozen edits to the photo, only to find out that the dozen edits has resulted in an edited photo that is visually indistinguishable from the unedited photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes!! You just solved my problem! When I click on the entries under edit history it does apply them to the photo! Thanks so much! Such an easy solution, but I had no idea about the edit history tab. Also, still not sure how it would have reverted in the first place, but I’ll keep an eye out for this in the future!
Thanks again! I really appreciate it!

Get Outlook for iOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every one of us has clicked on the wrong spot without realizing it at some point or another

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why your virtual copies are being reset unless somehow the reset button in the lower right-hand corner of the editing screen is being selected. The virtual copies should retain their adjustments just like the original images would.
I'm not sure why you think it's necessary to create virtual copies for editing. If you think it's necessary to protect the original from being damaged then I'd like to point out that that really isn't necessary. All adjustments that are made using Lightroom are stored in the catalog. Nothing is ever done to the original image. That master image is always left in its pristine state. The adjustments are stored in the catalog, and when you export a copy of an image the catalog combines the master image along with its stored adjustments to create a new image that represents all of the work you have done using Lightroom. But the choice is yours. If you feel more comfortable doing it your way I suppose there's really nothing wrong with it. I just don't feel it's necessary because you can always click on the reset button to clear out all the adjustments and start over. And through it all, nothing is being done to the master image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your advice/ input.  I'm by no means an expert with Lightroom.  I only really got into using it in the last couple years.  I'm just going through it on my own, trying to figure out the best way to do things.  When I find one way to do things I'll often stick with it, but I'm always open to alternative possibilities.

I like to create virtual copies to edit, leaving the original untouched, because I'll often edit the same photo a number of different ways.  I figured it would be easiest to leave the original there to copy, and start another edit from scratch.  Thanks again for your response!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Off track, but

OP is probably using virtual copy's as to have seperate treatments, seperate workflows for the one image withou having to start from scratch (as in edit, then export, then edit, export..)

For example, one copy black and white, one copy high key, one copy way overkill bonkers saturation just for fun, etc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly why I do it! I like to have the original there to start separate edits from scratch.

Get Outlook for iOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By default this virtual copy's get stacked, unstuck them, can lead to accidental edits if LRC thinks they are all selected, and that can occur with stacks.

One of those, opps, issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. Thanks. I’ll keep that in mind going forward. I appreciate the advice!

Get Outlook for iOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same problem. After I launch Lightroom and start editing a photo, once I leave the photo and then come back to it (even if I click the one right next to it and then imitately back on the picture I was editing before) all the edits will be gone. The edited picture that I had previously will show small at the bottom where you can see all the photos in your folder but not actually on the view. The only wat that I've gotten them to come back is if I press comand z (Edit Undo). Does anyone have any idea how to fix this or why this is happening? This doesn't happen every day but I've never been able to fix it once it starts. I'll just come back the next day and it will work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you go back to the photo you edited and then left, what shows in the History panel? Are your edits showing there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All it shows is synchronize Setting in History..... it is really weird.

I wish I could videotape it because the edit appears to be there and as you go to open the files the edits disappear one by one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curious has anyone figured this out? I too am having random edits just gone! I will go. back into works from a year ago and as I open the gallery and click on one of the pictures the edits are gone? This is really upsetting as they are randomly just gone!  It's not all the pictures either it is just intermittently?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a possibility where you have (accidentally) imported the photos more than once; one version has edits, while the other version does not.

You need to do a search for these photos in Lightroom Classic, and let us know what you find. Follow all of these four steps in order:

1. In the Lightroom Classic Library Module, on the left, under Catalog, click on All Photographs
2. Turn off all filters (Ctrl-L once or twice)
3. Turn off all stacking (Photo->Stacking->Expand All Stacks)
4. Search for at least one of these photos by file name using the Lightroom Classic Filter Bar

Also, when you find one of these photos where the edits are gone, what does the History panel say? Is the only entry the import, or are there edits showing in the History panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you however sadly this isn't the case. Have you heard of anyone having this issue using dng files specifically?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you however sadly this isn't the case.

What is your evidence? Did you actually try the search using the steps I provided?

Have you heard of anyone having this issue using dng files specifically?

Not that I recall, again what is your evidence that it is happening to DNG files? Is this visual, you look at the DNG, expecting to see edits, and there are none? Or do you somehow examine the actual contents of the DNG file? Please explain how you came to this conclusion.

Please answer my earlier question about the History panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2022 Apr 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delay so I am still seeing this happening. When I go to the individual file all the sliders and edits are visably gone and reset. Outside of that I am not sure how to answer your question. When I edit an image it gets rated. This has been a work flow for a long time. I go to the rateed image and it is like nothing was ever edited on the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 17, 2022 Apr 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You said "All it shows is synchronize Setting in History..... it is really weird."

Normally, in history the first (bottom) piece of information is the Import. Does that show? What does it say?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it looks like there is editing history when I click one of the edits in the history it then appears on the image, so the good news is there are edits, however all the sliders are reset in that image when I go to look at it normally and this is happening on a lot of the images, like catalogs worth. So will I have to go through hundreds of images and click on them in the history to see the edits? Thoughts on if they will transfer over to the newest version of LR?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show us a screen capture of the Develop module for one such photo, so we can see the sliders are reset and also so we can see the History Panel?

Please include your screen capture by clicking on the "Insert Photos" icon. Do not attach files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines