Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom is incompatible with Leica M8 DNG

Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

23861258iuyv_0-1648847548112.png

When imported, there will always be a pink line. The DNG is not damaged, it can be displayed correctly on macOS built-in photo preview application or any other device.

Sometimes restarting Lightroom will solve the issue, at 'Develop' page the full DNG can be loaded correctly, but in preview, the pink line still exists.

In addition, Photoshop with Camera Raw 14.x also has this issue, but in Photoshop the full DNG can be loaded correctly.

Does anyone manage to solve this problem? Is this the problem with my settings or bug with Lightroom? Many thanks!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

PROBLEM SOLVED. It was the problem with my USB-C SD Card Reader. I cannot imagine the reason behind, but when I inserted the SD card to my Thunderbolt 3 Dock and imported all the photos, the weird problem just disappear, everthing was back to normal. Thank you for all the replies!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic Version number?

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

11.2 release, camera raw 14.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in agreement with Digital Dog below. There is something nonstandard about the DNGs causing them to appear corrupted in LrC and ACR.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMG_5227.jpg

IMG_5228.jpg

Yes, I just found the aspect ratio of M8 is not 3:2 due to the special APS-H sensor. It's slightly different from 3:2. During importing, there're black edges around the photo, when imported, black edges disappear and the weird pink line shows up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there is a bug, it's how Leica is writing or handling the Adobe DNG (not following their spec).

Or perhaps a GPU issue. Try disabling GPU in preferences, do you still see this?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After restarting LR the full loaded DNG is normal, but the small preview still have the pink line. I just disabled GPU in preferences, took 3 photos and imported them, 2 of them are normal, only 1 have the weird line, and this time that actual file (imported to my Mac) also have that pink line. Maybe it's the problem with the old format of RAW file, since the M8 is really out of date, haven't use it for years. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try reconverting them in LR with a newer DNG version? 

You don't see the line in Develop?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a few further restarts, now the pink line starts to disappear in small previews automatically. However, everytime I open one in the develop page, the pink line flashes once then disappear when full loaded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the DNGs are created in the camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but that doesn't mean they cannot be converted correctly. Worth a try.

Could be a display profile issue (or GPU). That this line updates and disappeared points to this possibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to remember a discussion way back where M8 users were doing the DNG conversion on import. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The DNG is not damaged, it can be displayed correctly on macOS built-in photo preview application or any other device."

The DNG files could be corrupted.  When Mac Preview (and nearly every other photo viewer) displays a DNG, it's displaying a JPEG preview embedded in the DNG, whereas LR renders the image from the raw data in the DNG.

To rule out this possibility, go to All Photographs and do Library > Validate DNG Files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your explaination. I took some photos today, this time I found in LR directory, some of the imported DNGs are damaged too (Mac Preview displays the pink line), however, when I copied all DNGs from SD card and directly pasted them into LR import directory (replace the DNGs imported by LR), those pink lines disappear (sometimes flashes once then disappear), output files are normal. I followed your suggestion, LR said the photos are not validated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

PROBLEM SOLVED. It was the problem with my USB-C SD Card Reader. I cannot imagine the reason behind, but when I inserted the SD card to my Thunderbolt 3 Dock and imported all the photos, the weird problem just disappear, everthing was back to normal. Thank you for all the replies!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines