Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Mobile for Android Users?

New Here ,
Apr 08, 2014 Apr 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

I'm curious as to whether or not the app will be ported to Android. Adobe say that the iPhone app is coming soon but never mentions Android.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 122 Replies 122
LEGEND ,
Jul 01, 2014 Jul 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RolandDeschain17 wrote:

Dave, that analysis is seriously misleading. Any developer that prioritizes iOS development based on that is naive.

Errrmmm...

We're all here because we use Adobe product: not many of are using Deschain software.

Adobe might not be as naive as you'd like to believe. I'm guessing they know damn' well exactly what they're doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 01, 2014 Jul 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't say there weren't reasons to do it, I said basing it on that is naive. Work on your reading comprehension and let's move on; I just want to make sure Adobe knows there's demand for the Android version, is all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 13, 2014 May 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, there's already an application on Android that works extremely well for managing and editing RAW images... works better, and without annoying subscription scheme, than Adobe stuff IMO, so Adobe would have to work hard to displace that app on Android.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 05, 2014 Sep 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have moved away from the ipads because of not having expandable memory like the android tablets have.  I had a 16Gb ipad and found that i ran out of storage space i could not expand it.  I am not with a samsung tab 3 looking at upgrading to a note 2014 or maybe a notepro 12.2.  I cannot see myself going back to an apple ipad or tablet due to its lack of exspandable memory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if this information wasn't readily available but we're releasing iPad first, then targeting the iPhone then the Android platform.  Android is most certainly on our roadmap but we're not quite ready to commit to the time frame yet.

Regards,

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand, again, that you do one platform first.  What I don't understand, and have never had explained to me, why the Apple devices always come first,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 10, 2014 Apr 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about the delayed response as the forums were offline yesterday.  As to why iOS first, it's simply a matter of popularity in the market we're targeting for Lightroom mobile.  There are many more customers using iOS in the Lightroom target market than Android. (We measure through quantatitive market research)

Regards,

Tom Hogarty

Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2014 Jul 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We should not have to pay the same if we don't get the same products as others do.  Since there is no Android version, we should get a discount for the monthly / yearly cost, until we have it too. To make it work with the discount, we shouldn't be able to download nor log in with an iOS version, to make sure no one lies about not having an iOS device.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nova-80 wrote:

We should not have to pay the same if we don't get the same products as others do.

That's a complete distortion of the facts of this. What all of us have paid for is Lightroom - that's it.

Lr 5 came out before Lr Mobile, and that's what you paid for - the price of Lr didn't go up when Mobile was released, and in fact Mobile is free to download.

So Mobile is, in essence, a freebie for Mac users (at the moment), and Adobe can "give away" whatever they like, to whoever they like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Keith, for the clarification. I did not know that. I thought they came out at the same time.

I stand corrected and accept the fact that I was wrong.

Since it came later and the cost didn't go up, no discount is needed, as it's a freebie.

Hopefully the Android version comes soon so we can enjoy it too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2014 Aug 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an ex iOS user and now die-hard Android user, how will the LR mobile app work? Will edited DNG files be capable of migrating across to a PC-based catalog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 05, 2014 Aug 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The LR Mobile app will copy JPGs back to LR that come from the device’s “Camera Roll” and will sync adjustments back to the Desktop LR from photos that originated from the Desktop LR and synced to the device previously.

DNGs aren’t really part of what is on the iPad’s camera-roll. Or are you asking about some other source of photos or how things might work in the future?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2014 Oct 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The compelling reason ... the only reason ... to go with LR mobile "for me"  ... is the ability to do my picks , (and just as important my Deletes Flags ) ,  stars , Crops ... hopefully apply a "Pre-set"  ... sitting at on my couch by the TV , or at Starbucks.

After I uploaded (or while it uploads)  to my main computer.

I am WIN and Android.     So, I am on hold for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2014 Apr 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the same reason everyone kowtowed to Internet Explorer for over a decade: they'd rather follow the whims of a fad and go where the sheep go than do the right thing.

I'm an avid Mac user.  I use Creative Cloud for OS X, and I do all my editing on Macs.  But when it comes to mobile, that's where Apple and I part ways.  I have owned every version of the iPad up to the "iPad Air" and found every single one of them overly restrictive, closed, and more of a hinderance than a help to a genuine mobile photography workflow.  No matter how many cloud-based sync gimmicks developers try to stand up for them, IOS devices are first and foremost iTunes peripherals, and toys for content consumption -not creation -and certainly not asset management.

I pay (now monthly) for the convenience, flexibility, and platform agnosticism of Adobe apps.  I have come to expect Adobe's love affair with Apple to take priority in the desktop arena, and I'd be willing to bet more than half of the creative community agrees with that sentiment; but it saddens me a little to know that Adobe would prioritize IOS over more open and flexible mobile platforms, knowing full-well what a bunch of control freaks Apple are in this arena.

No one who has ever plugged an SD card full of 24MP or greater RAW files into an iPad considers this a serious option.  So, until Adobe decides to stop catering to the Fischer Price mobile crowd and make a serious tablet app, we'll just have to keep lugging our laptops along on photoshoots.

Given that this is the way of the mobile marketplace for the foreseeable future, I'm not holding my breath.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 14, 2014 Apr 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  I've worked on Apple machines, a variety of Windows machines and presently on a Windows machine I built.  I never really found any deal-breaking differences between the two platforms other than the expense of Apple devices and how controlling the company can be. I had an iPad early, but have found Android tablets much more open.

Anyway, I doubt in Adobe will move forward very quickly on an Anodrod version of LR Mobile. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like it's better to have LR on a iPhone smartphone with a tiny display than on a tablet...This is  ridiculous!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 13, 2014 Oct 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tom,

Any updates on timeline for the Andriod Tablet support with Lightroom Mobile?

I am one of the CC Photography members and I do not use any iOS devices. (I have had a couple of iPads and all IPhones through 4G before I gave up and swicthed to Andriod).

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wether iOS or Android should be the first I'll keep in the middle (Windows & Android user here) but what I find even more stunning is that when the iPad version is available, they'll focus first on an iPhone version????? who is ever going to use LR mobile on a mobile phone honestly?

In the end the Android version will come but honestly today I'm not missing LR Mobile on my Android tablet and not sure if it will ever replace my Windows 8 Asus Zenbook with Adobe CC installed on it for work on the road...

So just be patient and all will be well people...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People take a lot of photos with iPhones, and will want to adjust and share them from the phone.

LrM is also not just about adjusting, and I feel I use it much more for just having lots of pictures handy for showing people, which you can do on a phone too.  You've also got to consider what Lightroom users are using as their mobile platform - 60% iPads, 20% iPhones, and the Galaxy is the top Android device at 3%. That explains why it's iPads first, then iPhones.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no offense but the Galaxy is a device, not a platform... ipads all run the same version of iOS so basically that's a platform. That's comparing apples with lemons

anyway, I don't want to make this the 7 gazillionth Apple cs Android discussion; let that be clear

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I'm not making it an Apple v Android debate either, just giving you an idea of the mobile split for Lightroom users (whatever the wider market shares may be). I accept the platform/device distinction, but that 3% for the Galaxy is the biggest item in the 20% that isn't iOS and the rest is a mix of stuff. And in a way, because of all the varieties of Android, it's not that bad an idea to compare apples and oranges.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's true as well...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2014 May 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, the iPad gets it first then, the iPhone? with it's five year old 4 inch screen? Wow! Doesn't make a difference on Android really, PhotoMate R2 is ten times better than Lightroom Mobile. Surprised they got it to run on that old hardware. I wish it would use only a gig of RAM on my PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2014 May 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why wouldn't Adobe prioritize platforms/devices that Lightroom users are using in overwhelming numbers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2014 Jun 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that Adobe prioritize iOS over Android development, less variables and provably his target audience use more iproducts than android devices, the one thing that I don't understand is why they don't talk about it, in the presentation of the CC 2014 the talk was center in the multi-content and multi-platform requirements for today, but you lack to show any advances, previews or even mention the other's platforms in the game, we need to see Android clearly represent and care, I can wait for the android apps to be develop, if I knew they are coming, but there is simple no info about it, that's the one thing that bothers me a lot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines