• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom move to new folder xmp doesn't show edits

New Here ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom. When I move edited CR2(RAW) to new folder it doesn show changes made in lighroom.  I know it created xmp file in old folder, and it writed new changes in it and the xmp file moved to new folder. But still I open file and like original from camera. The same situation with renamig the folder.

I USE. Windows 10/Lightroom monthly subscribsion/up to date. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume you mean Lightroom Classic and not Lightroom. (Is that correct?)

How did you do this move? Did you do it in Lightroom Classic, or did you do it in your operating system?

After the move, did you import the photos into Lightroom Classic? This will cause Lightroom Classic to think the photos are brand new photos that it has never seen before, with no edits and no user-supplied metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes ligtroom classic. Yes I did it in Winows app. What can I do to have all edited data back? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should always move photos within Lightroom Classic to avoid "lost" photos in the catalog. But, if you've moved them, and re-imported them, XMP data would have been recognized - if you wrote the edits to XMP. This is not LrC's default behavior. There is a setting in Preferences to "automatically write changes to XMP," and you can also manually do it via the menu. 

But, if you didn't write the changes out, then the edits are only stored within your catalog, associated with the original images in their original location. Do you still have the original edited photos in your LRC catalog in another folder? If you do, you can write out the XMP data, copy over the new XMP files and read them back in. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original catalog was renamed in Windows, and xmp still are there but the Lightroom doesn't read them 😞 I have to learn to live with that. I believe I have complicated my life with moving folders and renaming them. I thought my lightroom will work faster if I have less photos there. I didn't know it has such style of working. Thank you for your support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes ligtroom classic. Yes I did it in Winows app. What can I do to have all edited data back? 

By @olenah19288003

You didn't answer this question: "After the move, did you import the photos into Lightroom Classic?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the photos in LrC and then use Metadata->Read Metadata from Files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Importing photos into Lightroom Classic that have previously been imported is not a good idea. Now you have two copies of your photos in LrC, and they can have different edits and different user-supplied metadata. This will cause confusion at some point in the future. If you want to move photos again in the future, you should move them but NOT import them; instead of importing you simply need to tell LrC where the photos have moved to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer. I'll follow your instructions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It didn't work for me. Maybe  I need to say I work with Cr3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines