• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom no longer compatible? - Windows Server 2019

New Here ,
Dec 22, 2021 Dec 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I run a photography business in London, and for years now we have hosted an installation of Lightroom on a server in our offices. It runs Windows Server 2016. This means I can remote in to the server when I'm out with clients, and pull-up reference images from my Archive Catalog, etc. It also means I can work safely with the enormous catalog that holds over 12 years of client work, run large imports over night, and ensure that backups (which take hours) actually get done on a daily basis - none of which would be possible for a photographer on the move with their laptop.

We have invested significant budget in this arrangement - it's secure, reliable, and allows for a slick workflow.

Well - it did, until recently.

Lightroom Classic stopped working recently - I forget exactly how - it just wouldn't start up. I attempted to reinstall from Adobe Cloud app, but came across various errors. I read somewhere online that Lightroom withdrew support for older operating systems.

So we have had Windows Server 2019 installed, in order to test this. Now when I run the installation from Adobe Cloud app, it says that Lightroom (cloud version) is not compatible with this operating system but Lightroom Classic does NOT have this compatibility warning.

So we proceeded to have LR Classic installed, but this results in an error. There is no error message, it just says "failed to install" or something similar. 

I have checked and the official requirements for Lightroom Classic shown on this page are "Windows 10 or later".

Windows Server 2019 is indeed later than Windows 10 which was released in 2015.

What gives?

This is seriously disrupting our workflow and right now our latest shoots have not been archived and backed-up.

How can I get professional help with this matter from Adobe?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I get professional help with this matter from Adobe?

You should contact Adobe. We are not Adobe here in this forum, we are other LrC users, who cannot speak on behalf of Adobe.

There was another thread here about Windows Server 2019 (I think), you should search for it.

You can try to revert to Lightroom Classic 10.4, I suspect that might work.

Windows Server 2019 is indeed later than Windows 10 which was released in 2015.

I don't think that's what Adobe meant. I think they meant Windows 10 or Windows 11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks, I understand this is a user forum. Wasn't sure if Adobe staff frequented it; I guess not.

Sorry if this is obvious but how do I revert to Lightroom Classic 10.4? Can this be done from the Creative Cloud control panel app? Will this cause a problem with the fact I have upgraded my catalogs on my laptop to latest version? Our workflow is this: work on current photos in the pipeline on laptop, then after a few months transfer an archive catalog from the laptop (running latest version) to the server.

Re version requirements, I am used to working with data sheets for software and hardware that are written very carefully and in great detail. I would be stunned if Adobe Lightroom, this application used by people around the globe, would be careless enough to write "and later versions" without specifying various editions of Windows... but I guess that's one to bring up with Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

I would be stunned if Adobe Lightroom, this application used by people around the globe, would be careless enough to write "and later versions" without specifying various editions of Windows... but I guess that's one to bring up with Adobe.

And probably Adobe would be stunned that you thought “Windows 10 and later versions” referred to Server operating systems. And just because it worked on some Server operating systems, it was unsupported and you should not assume that it will always work on Server operating systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you telling me it is officially not supported on Windows Server? Where are you getting this information from?

I have never found a program that runs on Windows 10 that doesn't run on Win Server, not a single program, this would be extremely unusual.

I doubt given Adobe make enterprise applications that the idea of running LR on a server OS would be considered "highly surprising" but as you said, you don't speak for Adobe so I'll wait to hear from them on that one...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen a number of instances where graphics-focused software which requires some particular GPU-related capability to be present, would be unsupported by typical fileserver hardware with its basic display system and display driver. To the point of refusing to run.

Also I am not sure how LrC may cope in a virtualised machine context OR in a remote desktop context - could that be a factor? Speculating: LrC does seem to have quite a lot of optimisations for performance, that may need to scan for and then refer to actual hardware. Again, there is a tendency for Remote Desktop in my experience, to employ a more basic and limited form of display driver, rather than what would be seen when using the computer directly in person. So that could then raise, for another reason, the first issue mentioned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2023 May 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

HI @hazymat did you get any further with this and make it work on a Windows Server?

P.s. the only info I found was this:

see this tech document regarding running Creative Cloud/Photoshop on a server: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/enterprise/kb/technical-support-boundaries-virtualized-server-based.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines