• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom not importing

New Here ,
Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I run Lightroom 5.7.1 on MacOS Catalina 10.15.7 and has so far worked fine. But today I can´t get it to import photos (Add mode) from neither a Synology NAS nor the Pictures folder in the Mac (moved some test pics from NAS to this folder). It shows the importing status bar with a small % of completion. I'm desperate and disappointed this is happening. Could anyone please help me?. I have attached screen shots of the screen.  

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 5.7 does not work correctly on catalina. Catalina was released many years after Adobe stopped supporting Lightroom 5 so any problems will never get fixed. Best thing is to upgrade to a current version of Lightrroom classic. If you don't want to go there and want to stick with the ancient 5.7.1, one thing you might try is to open up your system preferences and go to Security & Privacy. Click on the "Privacy" tab and in the left column, scroll down to "Files and Folders". In this screen make sure that lightroom 5.7.1 has access to network disks (and everything else). If it doesn't show up there, go to "Full disk access" and give Lightroom full disk access using the little + icon. The problem you are seeing might be due to the new disk access model that Apple introduced with Catalina. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your comment. I did check and the access was granted as shown in attached screenshot. I have a hard accepting that a product I purchased only about 5 years ago is no longer useful. Without the importing feature, the rest seems to function properly so is like technology dumping and make me question Adobe's product strategy.

Additional comment, I do get to import eventually from the local drive, also with problems, but surprisingly when importing from the NAS, I do get to see the files and select which ones to import, but still, it doesn´t finalize the process.

Please help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 5 was released in 2013 so quite a bit longer ago. It would still work fine if running in the operating system from then. Unfortunately when apple releases updates they break features in older software.  There was a really big change in apple's operating system around 2018 with Mojave which broke LR 5 (which was no longer supported at the time already) for most people. Lightroom 5 simply is not compatible with Catalina or Big Sur as those didn't exist when it was released. Nothing particular to Adobe but very typical across the software world. Don't think you can really do much about this except running a very old Mac OS X (probably you need snow leopard to run lr5) with all the security implications implied with that and assuming you have old enough hardware that that will run. This is unfortunately the hamster wheel of technology we live in driven by a constant arms race between software developers and hackers. Because of cyber security we have to keep updating our devices operating systems or risk getting hacked. Because we need to update our OS regularly we are forced to update our software regularly. I wish it were different but even now you can still lag behind a few versions in general and be fine but not this many.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your input but if that is really the case, I find it dissapointing that a less than 8 years software stops functioning. I can´t avoid linking to hidden interest. If I'm left now with a software that can only partially function, and not allowing to import new files, it is like being left with nothing. My perpetul license has lasted less than 5 years. What a dissapointment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What if you scroll up one. To Full Disk access?

Also, do you not have any removable volumes, like an SD card, odd that Removable Volumes is not included in Files and Folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your second screenshot, in the Folders panel, lots of ? marks, lots of file location issues, folder location issues. You need to address that before figuring out the import problem, probably relates.

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your input. I have now clean up all the ? in the folder view and have tried importing new files from NAS, and same thing (see attached filed). It doesn´t. The import bar indication remains unmoved. Truly madding!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@author,The screen capture you attached to your last post shows the Library Module with one image selected. Is that the image you are trying to import? Explain what procedure you attempted to achieve your objective?

The folder you have selected in the image is that the NAS, and if so did you right click and select synchronize?

Have you tried the normal import procedure and select from the menu bar “file>Import Photos and Video”?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I was trying to show in the last screen capture is how the import status bar on the top left corner doesn´t progress, simply gets stuck when trying to import. I can leave it for hours and I'm forced to cancel the import.

The steps I take are:

1.- Select Import

2.- Select as source "Other Source" and select folder in NAS. The folder files appear and are able to select.

3.- Click import and nothing happens.

Am I the only one running LR 5.7.1 with this error?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problems in 5.7.1 are difficult to debug because very few people still use it, and because it was never designed for the operating system in use. 

But let me throw out a generic solution that sometimes works wonders: delete your preference file. https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I liked your solution. Thank you. Renamed the referred file and same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know the only way to run 5.7.1 reliably is to run it on an older operating system. Probably at best Snow Leopard. Anything newer is known to have many issues such as the hangs you are experiencing. I found a bunch of references to this problem but no solution anywhere. If the permissions thing doesn't work and resetting preferences doesn't either I don't think there is anything you can do. I think people have gotten LR 6 (which is also not supported at all anymore) to run somewhat usable on Catalina and up but I think even that is not wihout major issues with graphics and random lockups. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to anwer the other 2 opportunities:

- I have tried synchronizing with similar results.

- using the file>import photos menu gives the same result.

I have attached a new screen capture showing how I select files from the NAS to import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just looked at this screenshot and I suggest you try deleting the plus sign from the folder name you are importing from (Camara Prohero +). I would not be surprised if the plus sign is what messes up the import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the input but the plus sign isn´t coming from the folder name but simply a way LR indicates a larger file name. Find attached 2 additional screen captures: 1) how I select prior to try to import, 2) after pressing import. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines