Lightroom not remembering previous photos when importing

New Here ,
Sep 17, 2021 Sep 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Lightroom on the Mac for a decade. It usually smartly imports only the new images. Currently I am using LR Classic 10.4 on a Mac with Big Sur 11.4.  Just recently, LR will no long remember that it previously imported images from the same card or even from my iPhone.  I need to go through and manually select the new photos. I have the box "New Photos" selected on the import. It began about a month ago. Is this a bug, or have I missed something?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying that it shows all photos as being importable, or are you saying it shows no photos as importable.

And the old photos are not grayed out?

You did not state if, or if not, the box to not support suspected duplicates was checked.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the photos are importable (not grayed), and all will be imported if I did nothing. Since I don't want all to be imported -- only the new ones -- I have to go through and uncheck them all and then check only the new ones. I don't about a box "to support suspected duplicates". WHere is that? As I mentioned, I have the box "New Photos" selected.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I see it under File Handling. Yes, the "Don't import suspected duplicates" is checked. But it still imports previous photos.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many photos old and new are we talking about?

Is this a time related issue?

I found that while on the road, during a photo trip, if I had an SD card with lots of photos, say from the previous day, and wanted to import today's shoot, and we are talking a couple hundred each day, that it may take awhile For LrC to work thru them, and gray out the old ones.

This has improved over upgrades.

and, for the curious, no, I do not keep the photos on that SD card any longer than when I can back them up at home.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think I may have figured it out. I tried to remember what I might have changed in LR in the last few months. Clicking around the import page, I realized I started leaving the "Eject after Import" box., which "ejects" (dismounts) the SD card after importing. Ths checkbox is found on the upper left below the "Source" and across Devices. So after some experimentation, it proves that when that box is checked, and the card ejects after import, it will not remember the previous photos imported. Not checking the box will enable LR to remember the photos it previously imported. To summarize:
"Eject after Import" checked, no memory of previous imported photos.
"Eject after Import" unchecked, remembers previouslly imported photos.

I'd be curious if this happens with others, or is specific to my set up.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines