• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Not Saving Changes

Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2023 Feb 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the past I could edit my photos and remove the catalog from Lightroom and when I re-imported the catalog the previous changes were still there. Now it's not saving my changes so I'm having to start over on my photos. It seems like this just started with the new update. Anyone else having this problem? 
Can I revert back to the provious version of lightrom before the update? 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic (lrC) saves your edits, etc to the catalog by default. However, LrC can also be configured to save these edits, etc to xmp sidecars or embed within DNG (if used). It would seem that the option to save to XMP or embed within DNG has been disabled when you updated, which would explain why your edits were lost when you removed the catalog. To renable saving the edits, etc you'll need to open 'Catlog Settings' and check the box labelled 'Automatically write changes into XMP'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the quick reply. I made the change to the catalog settings to write into XMP, saved the change, closed and restarted lightroom. Edited a photo from a catalog that was already imported, removed the catalog and reimported and the edits were not saved. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2023 Feb 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure why you're removing the catalog as it's the heart of everything that happens in LrC.

Regarding the changes not being saved - check the folder containing the photo you mention also contains XMP files. If not, then right click on the 'Identity Plate' at top left corner and make sure that 'Auto Save XMP' isn't paused (see attached screenshot).

It would also help if you specified the type (raw, jpeg, etc) of file your editing.

auto-save.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologize, it's not the catalog I'm removing it's the files. I typlically leave my files for about 30 days after edits are done then I remove them so not to have a long list of files loaded in lightroom. But on occasion I have a request to change something on a photo I edited. In the past I was able to reload the file and my edits were saved. Now I'm finding they are back to the original. The files I'm loading are RAW files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the past I was able to reload the file and my edits were saved. Now I'm finding they are back to the original. The files I'm loading are RAW files. 

By @dianeh34280449

Just another thought. Check your Camera Defaults settings in Preferences - Presets. Those could override the XMP files on import. And check that you do not have a develop preset applied during import, which could do the same.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may have missed mycomment above - 'Regarding the changes not being saved - check the folder containing the photo you mention also contains XMP files.'

Have you checked the relevant folders for XMP sidecars?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I did make the change under the Identity Plate as you show in the photo. 
Thank you for your help! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything you say points to edits either not getting saved to XMP at all, or the XMP sidecar files getting separated from the raw files. Do you perhaps move the raw files to another place, using something else (not Lightroom)?

I must say that I find your workflow illogical at best. If you want the images 'out of the way', then why not move them to another folder (in Lightroom)? Do not remove them from the Lightroom catalog! That doesn't make sense and only adds a lot of unnecessary extra work if you want to change an edit of such an image after all. I have 200,000 images in my catalog and never consider this a burden in any way.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Johan, I do not move the raw files to another place. I only use Lightroom. It's not that it's a burden to leave every file I've imported into lightroom in the library, I'd just rather only have what I'm working on in the library. We all have work flows that work best for us, I suppose. Obviously something changed for me with the recent upgrade, with time I'm sure I will figure it out, but I truely apreciate your suggestions and will consider each of them. Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's one more tip: Consider using collections and smart collections. Those are very powerful ways of seeing only certain images (the ones you are working on, for example) in the grid, and never see the rest of them (until you actually want to see them to find an old image).

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, Johan. I will definitely consider using collections and smart collections. That sounds like it might work for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines