• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom on M1 chip not showing video files

Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2024 Apr 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having sporadic issues on my 2021 M1 Max with Lightroom Classic. I'm getting "Lightroom has encountered problems reading this video." whenever I try to play the video. It's like this with every single video in my catalogue. If it has an existing preview, I can scrub through it on the grid screeen, I can read its metadata, I can even export it fine as the underlying video asset is unchanged. However, I cannot play it within Lightroom. 

I've primarily encountered this on my M1 Max Macbook Pro. I have an Intel Mac Pro and I've never seen this issue on it- I pass the same catalogue back and forth between the two and I don't think I've ever seen the issue on the desktop. On the Macbook, it will occasionally work, but other times the video playback stops entirely for no rhyme or reason.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 05, 2024 Apr 05, 2024

You still have not answered the question what version of MacOS you are using. Adobe can't do anything for you if they can't reproduce the problem, and without knowing this kind of information they can't even try. By the way: does Lightroom Classic have full disk access on your system? 
https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/quick-tips-how-to-give-full-disk-access-to-lightroom-classic-on-macos/td-p/12913413

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have encountered the same issue and reported it here on Feb 26.  I am running an iMac 4,2 GHz Intel Core i7 four core with Radeon Pro 580 8 Gb and 48 Gb memory with macOS Ventura version 13.6.4.  I have uninstalled and reverted to LRC 13.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah well glad to hear it's probably not a Intel / Silicon issue. I'll try the LRC downgrade to see if that helps me at all. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No joy. All the way back to 13.0 and none of them are working. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You still have not answered the question what version of MacOS you are using. Adobe can't do anything for you if they can't reproduce the problem, and without knowing this kind of information they can't even try. By the way: does Lightroom Classic have full disk access on your system? 
https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/quick-tips-how-to-give-full-disk-access...

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2024 Apr 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You've brought my catalog back from the grave!!! Thank you! Tremendous. Full disk access cleared it up. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of videos are they? I can't reproduce it on my MBP M1 Max. Videos from several different cameras all play normally. What version of Lightroom and MacOS? My versions are: Lightroom Classic 13.2, MacOS Sonoma 14.4.1.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.MOVs exported with the 422LT codec. 

Again, it's quite sporadic... it's started happening more often, but even on the most recent version of LrC I can still go for days without any issues and then suddenly my whole video catalogue (I have a separate catalogue for video clips) is caput. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post a small snippet that we can look at and test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of the catalogue or video clips?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some video clips that don't work. Are these all from the same source? Have they been edited or re-rendered/converted from the originals? Do they work in other video software such as Quicktime Player or VLC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know for NickRS but in my case, I'm unable to play any video file in the Library module. My videos are typically .MOV files captured on my iPhone12.  In my workflow, I review/sort/tag in the Library module then export in .MP4 for storage efficiency. This workflow worked as a charm in LRC 13.1 but stopped working in LRC 13.2 hence my revert to the previous version. They play with no issue in Quicktime Player and Handbrake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of my video clips work in Lightroom. When I go from Lightroom to the underlying asset using "Show in Finder" the video clips are completely normal and fine. Lightroom can still see the live asset, but it cannot generate thumbnails or play back videos.

I am hoping Adobe can address this quickly as Lightroom is an important software for my video editing workflow (using it to catalogue and retrieve clips) and this makes it completely useless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines