Exit

Lightroom Performance on Macbook Pro M1

New Here ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have an issue with the performance.

I'm running Lightroom 11.1 native on a Macbook Pro M1 (16GB RAM / 2TB).

It's my main work station with Mails, Documents and a lot of apps, but still about 1TB free.

The catalog is on an external ssd drive connected with USB C (3.2 I think).

I want to look through a big catalog (83.000 photos / 18.000 in the folder year 2021) of our family photos and rate the photos with stars. But about every 5 to 10 photos, it stops and i have to wait for about a second to see the photo, then, another second for the next one. When I wait a few seconds, I can see through about 5-10 photos fluidly again and then the same. I know it's huge catalog,... BUT

on my Mac Mini M1 (8GB RAM / 256GB SSD) the same catalog on the same external ssd with the same cable is working just fluid, I never have to wait a second for something.

The Mac Mini has less RAM and SSD free, but there are only a few apps installed and not a lot of data.

Is there a way I can increase the performance on the Macbook Pro M1? It seems like it's working on the same speed as my Macbook Pro 2012 .

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you generated standard previews on Import? 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, of course. All previews are already rendered (on both macs, as there are useing the same Previewfiles)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where (what disk) are the previews stored? How is the disk connected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

stored on the external ssd, same as the raw files.

Connected via USB C 3.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The symptoms you describe usually occur when the previews are too small for the display or don't exist.

You haven't mentioned whether you're using an external monitor or the MacBook Pro screen. If using the MacBook Pro screen and your existing previews are less than the screens default of 3,456 pixels, then they'll be rebuilt as you loupe through the images. If the previews are already 1:1, then they'll be fine and rebuilding isn't necessary, and problem lies elsewhere.

As for the MacBook Pro M1 Pro, it should have no issues with a catalog of the size you describe. As a matter of fact, I'm currently applying aditional keywords to some images in a 140,000 image catalog on the same MacBook Pro M1 Pro (edited) albeit with 32GB of ram. Louping through the images in the Library module is fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answers so far.

The point with the preview size came to my mind as well.

In catalog settings "standard preview size" is set to "automatic 2560", same as the external screen is running. I only use the external screen, not the macbook pro screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is the external hard drive allowed to go into power savings mode? This will be controlled by the computer, so the two computers may have that different for the same hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines