• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom "shrinks" my Raw Images to 16:9. Embbeded Previews.

New Here ,
Nov 20, 2022 Nov 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, using Canon, I always shoot RAW. And when I'm editing in Lightroom, the software shows me a preview (the JPEG I believe) and a little message that says "Embbeded preview". When I click that message, or go to develop, Lightroom automatically crops the photo to 16:9 and shows me the RAW image. 

I don't mind that it shows me the RAW image, I know how it works and that it has more information to edit. 

The thing that bothers me is that it crops the image, and I loose a good portion of the image, top and bottom, sometimes compromising my composition. 

Sometimes I've managed to get out of this by just going to CROP and set to original, but many times it doesn't give me the option. And I know the information is there because on the JPEG first preview, I saw it. 

I've been wondering if the JPEG file preview shows "more" information that is not registered by the RAW file... Wouldn't this be against the whole idea of using RAW?

If anyone knows how to solve this, I would really appreciate some help. I have cut many building tops of my photos just because of this problem 😞

Cheers,

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 20, 2022 Nov 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the settings on your camera for aspect ratio, which may be affecting this preview. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2022 Nov 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much! 

I do know about this, and I've changed the settings, but I'm worried about all the photos I took before understanding this. 

Is there a possibility to recover that cropped information? I can't recover it on develop mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the exact camera model?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be a long shot, but the DNG Recover edges plugin may work. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/canon-5d-mark-iii-images.html

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be a long shot, but the DNG Recover edges plugin may work. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/canon-5d-mark-iii-images.html

By @SeanMcCormack

That's the only fix I've found for this issue if indeed, the camera was set for an undesired aspect ratio. The functionality really needs to be, at the very least, in the DNG converter if not LR/ACR but that's a different story. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, that help article says, 

"This issue occurs with some cameras that were released and supported in versions earlier than Camera Raw 7.2 and Lightroom (Classic) 4.2. For cameras that support was added after Camera Raw 7.2 and Lightroom (Classic) 4.2, it's unnecessary to use the DNG Recover Edges plug-in."

which is why I asked for the precise camera model.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And it's why I said it was a long shot. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines