Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Lightroom refuses to relink missing photos – "The file _____ is associated with another photo"

New Here ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic 11.0
Mac Big Sur 11.5.2

I'm attempting to relink a number of photos that were reshuffled but Lightroom refuses to let me do it. After selecting the photo and clicking Replace, I get a dialog that says "The file _____ is associated with another photo in the catalog."

From that same dialog I select the button on that says "Show in Library" from which it takes me to the exact same unlinked photo that I'm trying to fix. Now I'm stuck in a loop. Can anyone walk me through this or at least tell me I'm not crazy? 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This means the file has (accidentally?) been imported twice (or more than twice). What you need to do is find the two copies, decide which one you want to keep, and then you can (or we can help you) keep the one you want and delete the other.

To find the two (or more) copies of a photo, perform all four of these steps in order in Lightroom Classic:

1. Click on "All Photographs"
  2. Turn off filters (Ctrl-L once or twice)
  3. Expand stacks (Photo->Stacking->Expand All Stacks)
  4. Search for one of these photos by file name using the Filter Bar

You should find at least two for a given file name. Decide which one you want to keep.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines