• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

lightroom - renaming

New Here ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i dont understand, why the renaming option is  buried further and complicated....

any one an idea, how to change it , like before , only the rename option?

when am in an event, i like to change ( rename ) the selected photos in sequence ....

TIA

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Valentinokun,

You do not state from what point in your process you are in and what you are doing to fully understand why the current situation is not good for you. But taking a stab in the dark, one of the dynamics of LRC is that certain operations are separated into various categories. If you look at the available menu options when you move from Library to Develop to Map, etc. You can see that because there are soooo many options, Adobe had to make choices as to what was going to be located where. 

In the case of file naming, it made sense to place those options in the Library mode. Ergo, if you wish to rename file(s), you need to go back into Library mode to do so.

I'm sure you can create your own scenarios about how it would not make sense to have (sic) Book commands in the Map mode. 

If that's not the direction you were going, please elaborate.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi ,

Thanks for the fast answer.   SInce i learn. english on the street, its not easy .

its not, just , click on the rename and you just alter the words as before.

now you have again just click to open and your forced to choose which sequence.....

and now.....maybe its me..... i rename 10 photo's and the numbers dont ad up....very strange

Tia 

ValentinoKun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those are default presets that come with Lightroom. Maybe you changed a setting in there. You can define your own preset, with sequence or without sequence, and save it.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

okay .

thx for the reply. 

gonna try 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@valentinokun wrote:

i dont understand, why the renaming option is  buried further and complicated....change ( rename ) the selected photos in sequence ....

Can you explain what you mean by “buried further and complicated?” In Lightroom Classic 10, the bulk rename feature remains in the same place it has been for many years: In the Library module, choose Library > Rename Photos. All of the usual options are in there, including sequence numbering tokens for the filenames.

It is not perfect. For example, unlike many other applications, Lightroom Classic cannot find and replace part of the filename, and it has no GREP support. But bulk file renaming has not become any more complicated than in older versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@valentinokun wrote:

its not, just , click on the rename and you just alter the words as before.

now you have again just click to open and your forced to choose which sequence.....

You can still click to rename the file, and alter the words however you like, as shown below in the Metadata panel, when a single file is selected.

Lightroom Classic rename Metadata panel.gif

This has not changed either, it works the same as it did in earlier versions.

Or are you looking for something different than that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

indeed. You describe it, right. the hassle , to open all the time , all the docks.... and again select everthing.....instead, before , you only changed the name....

i did't update LR & PS since September....so .... yeah , before , you just change the name.....

hope now is clear, what i mean 🙂

🙂

greetings from belgium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@valentinokun wrote:
indeed. You describe it, right. the hassle , to open all the time , all the docks.... and again select everthing.....instead, before , you only changed the name....

I’m sorry, I still don’t understand…because what I showed has not changed. That is from the current version, and it is the same as the previous versions. You click the name, the entire name is selected, and you can immediately type anything you want.

Maybe it’s because I leave the Metadata panel open, so if I want to rename, all I have to do is press one keyboard shortcut* to switch to the Library module where the name of the selected file can be edited. It should not be complicated.

There has never been any other way to edit the filename outside of the Rename Photo dialog box.

*No matter where you are in Lightroom Classic, it switches to the Library module when you press any of the following: 

• Option-Command-1 or Alt-Ctrl-1 (for Window > Library). 
  • E (for View > Loupe). 
  • G (for View > Grid). 

For example, if I want to edit the filename or anything else in the Metadata panel, and Lightroom Classic is not in the Library module, I like to press E, and there it is (because I left that panel open).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi Conrad,

how you mean, you left the panel open ?  the rename panel has to be closed, or it wont let me go further.

i have to say, i have a mac  😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@valentinokun wrote:

how you mean, you left the panel open ?  the rename panel has to be closed, or it wont let me go further.

If you look at my earlier post with the picture, it shows that I am not talking about the Rename dialog box. I am talking about the File Name field in the Metadata panel, which can be left open, and where the filename can be edited directly.

I use a Mac too, and it is the same in Mac and Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A suggestion-

Define a Rename Preset for a 'Sequence'. 

2021-07-07 10_02_46-Filename Template Editor.jpg

1) Select Photos

2) Press Function Key 2  [F2]

3) Select the Preset defined

4) Click [OK]

Now this Preset is 'Sticky'. It stays as the default in the [F2] Rename dialog until you change it again.

For the next group of photos it is-

1) Select Photos

2) Press Fnction Key 2  [F2]

3) Click [OK]

2021-07-07 10_01_35-Rename 8 Photos.jpg

It could not be much easier than this for a sequence rename.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i wont work, since , on my mac, it has other functions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my memory, the link below is how it has been for several major versions, maybe longer.

Below is a 4 month old link on the how to:

https://jkost.com/blog/2021/03/renaming-files-in-lightroom-classic.html

This one less complete, but a good 4 years old, and really not different:

https://lightroomkillertips.com/photo-renaming-options-lightroom/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you for your reply and time.

there are further several links....i gonna read it 

Thanks a lot 🙂

have a nice day

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see from your screen shot(s) you desire, as stayed, to rename using the event, or the event title, as key part of syntax, followed by sequence.

Ok, but, perhaps a different approach.

Rename using the syntax YYYMMDD_hhmmss

and apply keywords to the images, such as SAMMY COSPLAY

Using keywords to define subject matter, scene location, location, etc, is highly useful for sorting, for placing in smart collections, or controlling, and for sharing

Renaming via date syntax helps sorting, eliminates OS hassels wuth Capture vs Modify vsother time (Renaming to a capture date/time syntax helps in sorting as it gets around OS issues (capture time, vs modify, vs access, vs erc) often a MACOS issue. And can free you up from filing in that frigging awfull IMO date specific folder model.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines