• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom shows incorrect white balance used by Sony A7 camera?

Contributor ,
Jan 15, 2023 Jan 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone please explain why this happens:

I'm using a Sony A7Riv in studio.  I set my in camera white balance to 5600k to match the strobes.  Yet when I import the files into LR, it indicates the images were shot at 5700k with Tint of +13.  Shouldn't LR report the white balance at 5600k and Tint at zero?  Thanks.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom uses it's own interal WB scale that's diffferent to the camera maker. It hasn't changed what the camera shot, just mapped it to the interal scale. (Assuming it's showing 'As Shot' in the presets list).

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - yes...it hasn't changed it, so I normally just ignore those numbers.  But it's odd.

I do notice that the Sony camera profiles are unusable as is...all are far too warm and saturated.  Could those profiles be affected by the LR white balance numbers.  Probably not.  But I just don't get how anyone can find the Sony profiles usable as is.  Even if I use the Sony "Standard" profile, I need to reduce the saturation by about 10% and the temp too just to get it to a usable level for portraits.  Sorry...getting off the starting question

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't vouch for the Sony ones, but the Fuji ones are not quite the same as in camera. Still, to my eye, they're better than the Adobe ones. It may be worth getting settings you like and creating your own profile. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree.  I was using Fuji up until 2 years ago.  And I was always dissapointed in the results using the Fuji profiles in LR and ended up buying some and making some.  I'm also creating profiles using a colorcheckr and I find that is giving me a very good starting point for skin tones.  But it's a hassle and sometimes I forget to use it. Anyway, thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's not the wrong WB per se, CCT (Kelvin) values define a very large range of possible colors. Plus, every raw processor will report different values from the same raw data and differently from actural measurements of the illuminant. Ignore the numbers, they really don't matter. Set WB to visually preferable. 

Same raw, different values compared to real meaurementsSame raw, different values compared to real meaurements

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines