• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Dehaze slider causes the image to turn black.

Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting a Black Out when I go to use Dehaze with my new Sony 7 IV camera RAW images. When I try to adjust the slider the image goes Black and can't see anything. If I bring it back to 0 zero it comes back but can Not see once I try to adjust the image. I have cloud based Adobe so I'm up to date with firmware. I use Dehaze often, so need this fixed asap please. 

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. I just noticed the same on many of my older photos from 4-5 years ago when I used Dehaze slider. Even the slightest value turns photos completely black. Their previews look fine and I'd never notice it, until I get into Develop module and when it creates new Smart Preview. If I reset Dehaze slider to 0, everything gets back to normal. This is obviously a bug.

I'm no latest LrC version 12.1, Camera Raw 15.1, MacOS Ventura 13.2.1 (22D68).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lots of bugfixes in verson 12.2 which was released this week.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/whats-new-in-lightroom-classic-12-2/

No Dehaze fixes though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the same problem with Canon and iPhone pictures despite uninstalling/reinstalling Lr just now and of course ensuring I've got the latest updates.  Increasing dehaze event one point produces complete black out.

Please fix or send work-arounds!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update.  After the reinstall of Lr, which I thought hadn't worked, I restarted the computer and now the bug seems to be gone:  dehaze is functioning correctly.  But it wasn't this morning so there is still something for Adobe to address.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2023 Mar 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spoke to soon.  The problem has returned.  Same as before.  Even the smallest increase in dehaze and the picture goes completely black.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meant "too" soon.  ALSO, importantly, turning off Graphics Processor has stopped the bug again, though I will want to turn it back on once the bug is eliminated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If turning OFF the GPU works, it's a GPU bug, and you need to contact the manufacturer or find out if there's an updated driver for it. This is why disabling GPU is an option as more and more functionality moves to the GPU in newer versions of many Adobe products.

Also see: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-gpu-faq.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/acr-gpu-faq.html

Disable third-party graphics accelerators. Third-party GPU overclocking utilities and haxies aren't supported.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If everyone is not experiencing this issue (and I don't think it can be everyone) then possibly the solution for affected people may be a change of graphics driver version. Not necessarily forwards: sometimes the very latest release available is not a completely tested (and certified) one - in which case it might be a matter of rolling back to a version that's more certain to be stable for you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2023 May 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still happening to me with Leica SL2S raw images (13.3.1 (a) ) and its been an issue through all revisions of LRc and MacOS for the better part of a year. None of the solutions in this post work. This is obviously a serious problem. Why hasnt anyone from Adobe chimed in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just noticed this starting today: when editing an image in LIghtroom Classic (as I do daily), if I try to adjust the Dehaze slider, the entire image blacks out on the screen. Any ideas or insight as to what may be causing this? I have updated to Lightroom Classic 12.1 hoping that this would fix the bug but no luck..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try disabling GPU in preferences, any difference?

I can't clearly see the screen capture; it looks like there is also some metadata conflict in the thumbnail view. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a 2019 MBP with monterey 12.2.1

LR is version 11.2

Camera Raw  14.2

PS 23.2.2

Today, for some reason everytime I attempt to use the dehaze, the photo turns blue or black (depending on whether I have the histogram warning boxes checked).  It exhibits the same behavior in PS camera raw also.  The problem also occurs if I use the masking tool.  Anyone else having this problem,  It was working fine yesterday.  Attached are screen shots showing before nd after barely using the dehaze optionScreen Shot 2022-03-26 at 10.37.05 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-03-26 at 10.37.43 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have tried this before posting the above.  I uninstalled and re-installed LR and that seems to have fixed the dehaze tool.  Even fixed it in PS camera raw plug-in.  Weird but I am back to being happy again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2022 Apr 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting this! I have just run into the same problem. It appeared suddenly and mysteriously. I'll try your solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 10, 2022 Apr 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope it works for you.  I haven't had any problem since the re-install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2022 Apr 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before I took your suggestion I sent a note describing the problem to the Lightroom Queen site. They suggested that it was a GPU problem, so I turned the GPU off (in Lightroom Classic preferences window). This did solve the back/blue screen problem, but I was still baffled as to why this problem came up all of a sudden (?!)

So I decided to reboot my computer (also a 2019 MBP running Monterey). After the reboot I turned the GPU back on. No black/blue screen!

Go figure.

Thanks again very much for your post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone else seeing their "develop" image go completely black as soon as the Dehaze slider is touched?  I mean even at 1% the entire image goes black.  It doesn't appear to affect the thumbnail but without seeing the larger image any more its kind of impossible to edit concert shots with fog/haze...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried rebooting your computer? I ran into the same problem a couple months ago. Turning off the GPU (in Lightroom preferences) solved the problem, but I was still puzzled why the problem appeared at all. I decided to reboot my computer and turned the GPU back on. The dehaze-caused blue/black screen problem was gone, and it hasn't returned since. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it a couple of times and it worked after the 3rd time.  I had to actually turn it off and leave it off for a bit, just hitting "reboot" didn't work.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad it worked for you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2023 Mar 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. Images that had previously had dehaze applied were black when viewed. Turning GPU acceleration on & off altered the view - see attached. Turning GPU acceleration off and then re-booting before turning it on again seems to have solved the issue. Also 2019 MBP with AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB GPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2023 May 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In LRC as soon as I move the dehaze sliders at all the picture goes totally black. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, try disabling GPU in the preferences (Performance) or alter the settings. Any better?

If turning OFF the GPU works, it's a GPU bug, and you need to contact the manufacturer or find out if there's an updated driver for it. This is why disabling GPU is an option as more and more functionality moves to the GPU in newer versions of many Adobe products. Disable third-party graphics accelerators. Third-party GPU overclocking utilities and haxies aren't supported.

Also see: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html

Check to see that your GPU meets system requirements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Lightroom? What version of mac os? What hardware? Is this the same as this bug: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/dehaze-black-out/td-p/12747719 

?

This does not happen on my Macs so something is different. Note that on a Mac you can only update your GPU driver by updating the operating system as the GPU drivers are built in so some of the advice on that thread does not apply. If this disappears after you disable the GPU, submit it as a bug to this same forum, following the guidelines for submitting bugs: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/how-do-i-write-a-bug-report/idi-p/12386373

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2022 Dec 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic 12.1 Release

Mac OS Monterey 12.6

Not sure how to describe this so attaching a screen recording: when I slide the dehaze slider back and forth it is making the entire image exposure go completely black (no matter which direction I slide the slider). In previous versions, one direction on the dehaze slider usually made things go lighter / less contrast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines