• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom stopped working after upgrade to Mac OS Monterey

New Here ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I had to upgrade Mac OS to Monterey to be able to use Rush, included in the Photography Plan, Lightroom Classic stopped working. When I restarted LR after upgrade to Mac OS Monterey it started to convert the Cataloue for a minute but than stopped and said that it could not convert the Catalogue, no reason told!
It's very critical as I use LR as my main program daily. How do I solve this issue???
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What was the last version of LR you used prior to the OS update? The OS update alone would not cause a conversion of the Catalog. Lightroom Classic runs fine on this end, under Monterey.

Do you have a backup of this catalog?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OS was 10 Mojave and LR from 2019 or so, maybe somewhat earlier.

Yes, I've got back ups but I dont think it's any issues with the Catalog. Only that it had to be converted to the latest one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So again, just an OS update wouldn't alter or affect the catalogs.

Going a major version from Lightroom Classic will often ask for a catalog update AND it will backup the older catalog.

A 2019 version of LR is pretty old. What may have happened is, the Adobe CC application updated to a newer version, but you'd be told of this, then yes, a catalog update would happen.

So lets start from scratch: What version of Lightroom Classic are you now running?

You really need if possible, to find an backup of the older catalog. You're not doing any backups or Time Machine?

What's not specifically working now? You can launch the newer version but can't open the catalog, it provides an error of some kind?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's LR 11.0.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@pjotrett wrote:

It's LR 11.0.1

That's not a version from 2019; I'm confused by what version you may have had prior to the OS update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No but you asked: 

So lets start from scratch: What version of Lightroom Classic are you now running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@pjotrett wrote:

No but you asked: 

Fair enough: what version were you running and when, before or after the OS update did you update? No catalog backup? 

Again as previously asked: I'm confused by what version you may have had prior to the OS update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That I can't tell.

I do regulary Catalog updates. And I still believe that the latest Catalog is intact and un toutched. Is it possible to look into a older Catalog and see what version of LR there was?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, this is just getting very confusing to help out. There are no "Regular Catalog Updates". This happens from time to time when major new versions of Lightroom Classic ship and the catalog must be updated to even to even load in the new software. LR will tell you this allowing you to move forward or not, if you do, it will backup the OLD catalog as well.

You need to look in the folder wherever you keep your catalog(s); we can't do that remotely. We have no idea if you ever backed up the catalog using LR, using a backup utility, using Time Machine etc.

We don't know if you can open the one catalog you said you were trying to 'convert' only you got a dialog it could not be converted. IF it wasn't AND it is still OK, you should, at the very least be able to open it in whatever older version of LR you were using, which again we don't know. Hence the question again about what version you had prior to 11.X, and when you last used that old version.

Here is one thing that is factual: Upgrading to the newer OS didn't do anything with respect to installing a newer version of LR that may have required you to upgrade the catalog. One has nothing to do with the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is that cunfusing? Every time I close LR, I'm asked if I want to do a back up of the Catalog.

But now I am tired and have to go to bed. It's past 2 o'clock AM here. I have to consider what you have written and come back tomorrow.

Thanks so far!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whst is the complete file name of the previous catalog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Catalog-2.lrcat

In the ICON of my previous LightRoom Classic contains only two letters= Lr, is that a clue?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you changed the defaults upon  upgrade, and if you first had LrC before v10, then that catalog is not via v10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What was your previous MACOS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR only updates a catalog when you do an update of LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you mean that I should downgrade LR rather than Mac OS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not necessarily. We are all still wondering what OS you WERE using and what version of LR you WERE using. And then, please tell us what changed? You installed Mac OS Monterey, then tried to open a previous catalog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, MACOS was Mojave, so Cyber Security changes that started in MACOS Catalina apply, and you would have not accidentally tripped over that before.

Read:

https://nektony.com/duplicate-finder-free/folders-permission

starting with fixing application rights in Files and Folders, then perhaps going full in and giving application rights to Full Disk Access (normally overkill). And if you use the MACOS folder Photos, deal with that as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2021 Dec 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll take it from the beginning.
1) To get full access to Adobe Rush, included i Photographer Plan, I started upgrading my Mac OS which was then 10.? Mojave.
2) Now I also started to upgrade Lr Classic. I do not know which version I had more than that it said on the icon Lr.
3) After upgrading LrC I have 11.0.1 [202111111509-eae8952e]
4) When I now start LrC, I am prompted to upgrade the old Catalog called Lightroom Catalog-2.lrcat to the new one called Lightroom Catalog-2-v11.lrcat
5) What happens now is that it starts upgrading but then stops and a dialog box appears saying: "There was a problem updating the Catalog file format and the directory in this Lightrom version could not be used."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you looked at the file and folders rights as described above?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2021 Dec 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I've just read it. I would'nt dare to do this alone as I have already messed it up, so tomorrow a Lr expert will help me to solve my issues. Until then I am thankful for any solution tips you guys can provide until tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2022 Jul 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing happen to me today

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What SAME THING?  

Did you also upgrade from Mojave to Monterey and upgrade an older Lightroom to Lightroom Classic like the OP did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

please tell us which OS you were using and to which OS you upgraded, as well as which version or LRC you were using and what up upgraded to!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines