• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom stops saving to SD card mid shoot - Canon R5 and 5D m IV

Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the middle of a tethered session to Lightroom Classic, the images will no longer save to the SD card for a random period of time. They are saved in the proper session folder on the laptop with the previous shots. Then it will radomly start saving again on the card, usually after I have turned the camera on and off.

I have had this problem ongoing for a couple of years, on both the Canon 5D with a CF card, and the Canon R5 with an SD card. I am not changing anything mid shoot. Also, for the images that don't save to the card, the file numbers start over at 0001, but when it starts saving to the SD card again, it picks up with the last number that was saved on the card. This is maddening.

Lightroom is up to date. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software and it still happens.

If anyone has any insight I would much apprectiate it.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hardware problems could cause this. Bad camera card, camera card overheating, malfunction of the write head in the camera, and probably a few other things.

Depending on how fast you are shooting, you can also be exceeding the buffer in the camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems plausible, but it's a new camera, new SD card (both under 6 months old). I'm shooting on tripod not particularly fast bc my strobe reset was lagging. But thank you for your thoughts! I'm wondering if anyone else has had this particular problem? I can't seem to find anyone..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New hardware can malfunction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's happened to me multiple times.  Up to date Lightroom with Canon 5D mark 2 and Canon R5.  Different CF and SD cards and different laptops.  Highly doubt this is an issue with hardware like a new card etc.  I think mine happened yesterday after a battery change mid shoot. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2024 Feb 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you had a any luck fixing this ? I have had excatly the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I quit shooting to LR and now shoot exclusively to ipad pro using Capture One. I don't really like Cap1's processing though, so I download from the card and use LR desktop to edit. Not exactly the most efficient, but until LR upgrades its ipad app to shoot tethered, that's where I am. That's a different thread though...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Sara thanks for your reply - so its defintely a lightroom issue not a camera one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I'm seeing here, it seems to be Canon-Lightroom compatability problem?  who knows how that gets resolved..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can attest that Lightroom is the issue, all three of the Canon Cameras I use experienced this problem with the most recent Lightroom release.  The problems started last year with one or two images not recording to card and has become increasingly worse. All updates done to cameras to try to fix this issue and also problems connecting. Switching to Capture One there was an instant connectivity improvement and I just finished a shoot of over 5,000 images taken and I can say not one was lost, everything is on the card. Camera connects right away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - that is good to know.  Its very poor of Adobe not to fix this issue.  All the upgrades seem to be all about the latest Ai advances to fix your photos, as you say not catering to proffesionals as we rely on tether capture working and providing a reliable back up to cards. Really frustrating. I have just upgraded to the latest version, (again) but I am not  hopeful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2023 Dec 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having issues as well during shoots with EOS 5d mark II and also the Canon R5 - it is randomly either saving it to the laptop or the card while it is tethered. Brand new equipment, new cables (multiple) and also new cards so it is not hardware.

It just seems to bypass the SD card and write to the laptop first, in the past it always defaulted to write to card first then the laptop - at least you knew that the card held everything.  This is a real issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2024 Jan 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I know it was ages ago but did you ever find out why this was happening and a fix for it? As is is happening to me and is really not ideal! Been shooting tethered to light room for years and never had any issues until recently! Any advice gratefully received!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been shooting tethered to lightroom for years never had this problem.

Stops recording to card and only to computer intermittently. 
So instead of having whole shoot on card to download only have part of it. So no full back up, and I prefer to download from the card, to external hard drive as I edit on a desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been shooting tethered to lightroom for years and never had this problem.

images stop recording to card only to laptop.

It happens intermittently.

Anyone else had this issue and fixed it?

[Merged by moderator. Please do not multi-post the same question.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2024 Jan 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a fix for the issue. I switched to Capture One and everything is working so much better and no lost shots.

After 15 years of using Adobe Lightroom, I think Adobe is no longer interested in supporting professional photographers. It used to be a great product, but losing photos like I did yesterday is not acceptable. Also not a single reply from support or even a faint interest in fixing this issue.  You just can't do professional shoots like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it sounds like it is a Lightroom problem not a Canon problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue with the Canon R5 and Eos 5d Mark III, the card is no longer a reliable back up which is frightening.  The images should always be written to card first and it's not happening and it's intermittent, sometimes card sometimes computer.  I haven't seen a fix for this yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is really un nerving not having a back up, and also not being able to check images on camera screen when it has decided only to write to the computer....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 29, 2024 Mar 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue as well. When shooting tethered to LrC, the images should be saved in the laptop and SD card. However, randomly some images will not be saved in the SD card, these images show file numbers IMG_0001.CR3. I have to remove the battery to get the images saved in SD card and laptop. 

This has been going for 2 years since I started using Canon R5 and still happening. When this first happened, my Canon R5 and SD card were both new. 

Has anyone found the reason for this yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2024 Mar 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's  distressing  that the issue has not been resolved after all this time. I now shoot pretty much exclusively tethered to ipad using Capture One, which for the most part retains a good connection throughout the shoot,  and saves to both card and ipad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2024 Apr 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's extremely distressing that this is being ignored by Adobe so they can pursue their judgemental AI and useless new "tools". They don't care about photographers or people who use this for actual work. I am sure the fix is not that difficult but it has fallen on deaf ears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines