• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Storing Data Under User\Pictures Folder (Mac)

Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

New to Mac and Lightroom Classic. I have a question regarding the storage of data from Lightroom on my HD. 

My Lightroom catalogue is stored in my prefered location. It contains everything I expect (previews, smart previews, backups, etc). Although where things get confusing for me is when I saw Lightroom files under \userhome\library. Why did Lightroom decide to put files here?

Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 11.15.40 PM.png

Thank you in advance!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

The "Lightroom" folder likely contains the default catalog that LrC will create the first time it is started after installation. If you have subsequently copied that default catalog to a different location, or created a new catalog in a different location, LrC does not "clean-up" older catalogs.....that's left to the user to sort out. So open that "Lightroom" folder and inspect the contents, and if you're not sure what they are post a screenshot of them.

The "Lightroom Library.lrlibrary" is th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "Lightroom" folder likely contains the default catalog that LrC will create the first time it is started after installation. If you have subsequently copied that default catalog to a different location, or created a new catalog in a different location, LrC does not "clean-up" older catalogs.....that's left to the user to sort out. So open that "Lightroom" folder and inspect the contents, and if you're not sure what they are post a screenshot of them.

The "Lightroom Library.lrlibrary" is the default location (which cannot be changed) for the local folder that the cloud-based Lightroom desktop app uses. It is created on first launch of the Lightroom desktop app.....if you are not using the Lightroom desktop app, you can delete that folder.

The final folder is the default loaction for the Mac's Photos app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That makes sense! I downloaded and installed desktop Lightroom before realizing I wanted Classic Lightroom.

Thank you 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You haven't told us what files are in these folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines