• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Sync hangs with a couple of images until restart

Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a long time reader this is my first post in this community.

I am struggling with a strange behaviour in LR Classic (currently 12.0.1): I have synced roughly 10.000 pictures from LR Classic to the cloud. This is normally working well and after I have changed or added a couple of photos the cloud icon in the upper right corner is soon showing the green tick overlay again.  Anyhow, when I leave LR Classic open on my Mac for a couple of hours without working in it (or in one of the mobile apps) eventually the cloud item will change to the blue overlay again and it shows that a number of pictures are currently waiting to be synced (the number is mostly something like 10+ pictures). Strangely enough this number never decreases and if I add pictures to a collection to be synced (or add a new collection to be synced) the number of pictures in the queue is increasing but these new pictures won't show up in the cloud.

When checking "Lightroom Sync" tab in preferences all pictures are listed with "Metadata" in the "Sync Details/Errors" column.

There is no single collections which would contain all pictures listed and quite a lot of them haven't been touched for a while.

Pausing sync for a while and then resuming doesn't help.

Only when I restart LR Classic the sync starts again and the queue is finished within short time giving me back the green tick on the cloud icon. Then all changes are synced immediately again until eventually a new unmotivated sync is starting (and hanging again).

Has anybody experienced the same behaviour, too, and would know how to solve this problem without the workaround of restarting Lightroom?

Any hints welcome. 🙂

Lightroom Classic 12.0.1 (but this problem did also appear in LR Classic 11)

MacOS 12.6.1

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does saving metadata to the file, or making a minor metadata change make a difference? It has for me before, but there's no guarantee. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, unfortunately not. I have tried both with saving metadata manually and with enabling automatic metadata save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Lightroom Sync section of Preferences, hold down option to reveal two more buttons.. Generate Diagnostic Report and Rebuild Sync Data. Try the latter first. The former might show if there's an issues. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2022 Nov 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After all seemed to look ok for a while I suddenly saw this message in Lightroom mobile on my smartphone on a couple of messages:

IMG_2806.jpg

So I checked in LR Classic and manually saved metadata for that image. Eventually the sync status changed and again a couple of pictures where in the queue and again without any progress. I tried to save metadata to file for a couple of other images that had the same message in LR Mobile which just led to extending the queue. So same behaviour as before.

Then I created a diagnostic report on that status. In the section "WF Sync Agent :: ozUser" -> "recentErrors" I see 20 entries that look like this:

1:

• since: 2022-11-18T19:04:27.703071Z 0000-00-00T00:00:00.00000Z
  • time: 2022-11-19T07:56:15.839
  • what: get

Otherwise nothing caught my eye in this report that would give me any hint on what the root cause for this behaviour might be.

This time a simple restart of LR Classic didn't help. Thus I tried to rebuild the sync data (again - I already build it a couple of days ago). It started to sync all 10043 synced photos and eventually came down to 0 showing the green tick on the cloud icon. Anyhow the message in the screenshot above is still shown for a couple of pictures in LR mobile.

This is really frustating and I am a bit lost for ideas what could be the reason for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The message is saying that the settings aren't synced. The reason I would save metadata manually is to force communication. I wish there was some generic answer that just worked, but as you've seen, sometimes it takes loads of pulling and dragging to hit the right combination of stuff you've already done to make it finally sync. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In fact I tried manually saving metadata of all synced images, enabled automatic metadata change und also changed a development setting for one photo showing this message. First when I removed the foto from the synced collection (and all synced photos) and added it again after it also disappeared from LR mobile it was synced again including the settings.

Might be that I will have to perform the same for all synced photos now.

Thanks for your help so far, Sean. Really appreciate that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does duplicating a synced collection (and syncing it), then removing the original do anything for it? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In fact I have now unsynced all collection in LR Classic, removed all photos from synced photos and started to resync the collections one by one. So I couldn't try out your idea.

I hope that the sync problems are gone now ... at least for a while.

Thanks again. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi again

Just a short follow up on this issue. Also after I had unsynced all collection in LR Classic, removed all photos from synced photos and started to resync the collections one by one the problem with hanging sync eventually reappeared. Thinking further about nthe problem I was suspecting the photos being somehow changed in Lightroom Classic in background and thus being marked to be synced again without that I would have touched or even changed them. So I came accross the catalog setting "Metadata" -> "Autmatically detect faces in all photos" and tried to see what happens if I turn it off.

Well, looks like this made a difference. I have turned off this setting for about a week now and since then only once experienced a sync problem when I put a Photoshop PSB file in a synced collection (PSB files are not synced to cloud). So in fact this background face detection process seems not to play to well with Lightroom Sync ... at least not on my system.

I thought this might be of interest for anybody else experiencing the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines