Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom uses all memory during sync

Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

When syncing Lightroom CC it ends up stalling with around 430 images to go and - after a period - my Mac warns me that I have insufficient memory, Lightroom stalls and I have to force shut down. Checking the activity monitor something strange is happening: Before reaching the last 430 images, the memory usage is around 4 GB, but then it slowly starts creeping upwards until it reaches the max 8 GB that I have. And it is all caused  by Lightroom (I run no other programs at the same time).

I have tried resetting preferences, deleting Sync.lrdata file and going back to an older catalogue. None of them resolved the issue.

Other users seem to have issue caused by them using Dropbox etc. I am using none of those.

I use a MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz, 8 GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6

Any ideas?

Thanks

Peter

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2018 Oct 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can Solved

was a long process, First recovery the original files from LR CC,  second point, delete all files from LR CC, 3 point. I disabled the GPU use

4. and final from LR CC I selected "Delete Lightroom library", the system send me to LR Web and it shows me the option to delete library.

I accepted the option and I pressed the button, and after with LR CC and LR Web empties, I uploaded photos to LR Classic, and now I synced all album from LR classic and I can Work from LR CC and LR Web, resources are used normaly in my new Computer

Sorry for my english

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose this is the nuclear option. It’s good to know this worked for you but this is not a real solution. This problem is a total disaster for anyone who uses Lightroom Classic and weeks later there is no still no solution. Just got off my second tech support call I am no closer to a resolution. Guy just tried the same steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Classic but also migrated my catalog to LR CC.   I believe erasing all of my synced content would leave me with the inability to remigrate my catalog to CC. 

This all started when I had to restore a backup catalog and rebuild my sync data. The memory leak is so egregious, I cannot believe it would be difficult to find if it is given priority.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible????? they solved problems with todays update? Lightroom was OK so far.... keeping my fingers crossed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is an official response to this matter? It seems to be a few of us. I have been using LR since 2007 but over the past month I have not been able to use it at all.

LR ends up using 60GB RAM (I have 32GB), it slowly builds up and of course the computer becomes unresponsive.

I just installed an additional 16GB, I originally had 16GB hoping to solve the issue. It used to eat up about 30GB and now that I doubled it, it uses double and I get the same results. Plainly frustrating and I have downloaded Capture One as I am seriously thinking of moving away from Adobe after being more or less a lifetime user of their products.

Iha e tried everything under the sun: uninstalled, optimized catalogue, etc. I have searched for answers online and I am going to go on Twitter now as Adobe will either fix it or I will other places and forget they even exist.

Its shameful what they have done and should issue a public apology, refund money, etc. but FIRST they need to solve this yesterday!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Entering a old issue as a new member.

So so very long, read thru all of it, did not notice one possible discussion.

CAMERA RAW CACHE.

I noticed several System Information listings, one talked about memory cache size (that is not CAMERA RAW CACHE), noted at least one member had something like 40GB for CAMERA RAW CACHE, but was syncing thousands and thousands of images.

So, assuming you have the room, bump CAMERA RAW CACH up, like 100 GB. The amount depends on the total sum of the images sizes, not how big one image is, not how big your sensor is, but the sum of all you are working on.

Increasing CAMERA RAW CACH will improve performance in Develop, and any other CPU or MEMORY intensive function,

https://f16.click/tips/lightroom-performance-tips.html

https://digital-photography-school.com/10-tips-to-improve-lightrooms-speed-and-performance-without-a...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2018 Nov 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just talked to a support guy. According to what he said, Adobe recognizes this as a known problem: RAM is not freed when syncing and it may reduce performance or even collapse Lr and your PC/Mac. They seem to be working on it and an update should appear some time soon. No dates, but at least a recognition of the issue gives us some hope... 😉

In the meantime, I can use Lr because I executed the "nuclear" option: I deleted all synced data (Preferences / Sync). Now I keep syncing to the bare minimum I need (until the problem is solved). If I add hundreds of new photos to sync performance can get really bad, but in those cases I simply restart Lr.

Hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does pausing sync help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problems see my post  Lightroom CC impossible to use in Mojave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I survive with a non nuclear option, without deleting my 20k+ library from cloud (Weeks of sync with my poor internet). I use MemoryClean during the sync process, multiple times. With some tries, I complete the sync. Hope it can help a little before Adobe find the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to add that I have given up. Spent the last full week trying every option to sync, to no avail.

Going to try some Lightroom alternatives (Luminar, RawTherapee) as Lightroom classic is now completely unusable... it uses all system memory and crashes my iMac with 32gb of ram... Every. Time. I. Open. Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you. LR unusable... just hope Adobe will solve this problem with update. After all these years an untrusted application. I moved all my catalogues & photos to a PowerBook Pro. See if it works better until a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2018 Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, please, Sahil, anyone at Adobe? Help us. We are starting to look at Capture One Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the reason you aren't getting any responses is because Adobe has started working with people individually to address the issues. I'd suggest creating a support ticket with Adobe and contacting them. You can do this through Support in your Adobe account profile.They've been fairly responsive and are currently working on the problem. Hopefully they'll be a public fix soon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help... see my post Nov 24th @ 11:14AM post only option is Forum no contact or support ticket available. Will just wait & hope they fix- already moved LR catalog & photos onto a Mac Book pro... reluctant to make it sync & loose all my live URL links. If & when they fix issue will export a catalog of all new imports & edits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am very disappointed. I still have the same problem despite the update !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We will see if it holds up... I feel for you... it sucks for a app not to work after all these years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this may finally be fixed in v8.1 released today. I'm rebuilding my sync data again and it is still not complete but it seems like the massive memory leak is finally fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you refer to Syncing

Are you Syncing a folder to bring images into your classic catalog?

or are you syncing to send images to the cloud? to Lightroom CC (not classic)?

or syncing to the cloud for Mobile?

When the MAC claims not enough memory, I wonder if that is RAM, or is it hard drive space? The three possibility's may use different hard drive space, and it is probably no the Camera RAW CACHE, or the Temp, or the Scratch disk (OS)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Syncing from my public collections (making them public) to the cloud. Version 8.1 seemed to stop repeated slow syncing that I had to pause. Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2018 Dec 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

it's ok now for me ! hooray !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 23, 2018 Dec 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing is fixed here with the latest version...Left 30k images to sync overnight just to find Lightroom using 60GB of RAM, where I only have 16GB. Had to delete all synced data and start again by small batches.

ADOBE SUPPORT IS WASTE OF TIME.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2019 Feb 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, not only is the syncing a disaster, but it is a shameful example of ignoring users.

What reputable company would issue a product that fails to release memory until the product crashes?  The only solution I've found is to monitor Task Manager > Performance > Memory and keep an eye on that curve.  When it approaches 90%, I shut down Lightroom CC Classic and wait until the memory slowly subsides to normal, then reloading Classic - and then the process starts over again.  Today, I watched in exasperated expectation when it finally synched down 5...4...3...2...1 expecting it to hit zero, and then my computer would be free again.  No such luck.  The moment it hit 1, it started counting up again.

And what reputable company would allow this problem to fester for five months (the first complaint on this forum is in October 2018)?  Not releasing memory is coding 101.  At least your staff should acknowledge this problem, but no one from Adobe has even acknowledged it in this forum!  In fact the very first message in this forum is that this problem is not yet fixed.  Is the manager who released a product that fails to release memory still working for Adobe?  Why?

Not to mention that some basic information on synching is not even displayed.  For example, WHAT file is being synchronized now?  How much bandwidth will this process consume before it is finished?  Why can I not limit the daily bandwidth so I don't run out of internet bandwidth before the end of the month?  Why can't I see the number of files being uploaded, and downloaded?  When does Lightroom project it will complete the process, given the current bandwidth I'm using?  Why doesn't it tell me these things?

Adobe, you have left the marketplace open for a competitor to move in with a product that doesn't screw around with users' time and resources, and that works as expected.  I for one will be looking around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't inspiring. I had Lightroom on my Mac and was getting OS messages that it's not going to work with future OS updates, so I bit the bullet and bought the cloud version. It synced all the files in my catalog ONCE. Subsequent attempts to sync have resulted in this memory problem. At first, I could sync a handful before the memory problem and crash; now, it doesn't sync anything and the memory used is 90G, which is 16G of RAM plus a swap file on the startup drive.

I've had a few very long sessions with support people, but no solutions. This cloud solution is unworkable. I can use Lightroom Classic v 8.3.1 as long as I don't try to sync with cloud. A waste of $$, time, and trust.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2019 Aug 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazingly bad. Same thing happening to me. LR Classic uses all RAM and crashes machine. Every time it starts and resumes syncing several thousand photos.

Adobe has apparently done nothing for months to fix the obvious and fatal problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines