Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Lightroom ver 11 refine masking

Participant ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the new advanced masking tools.

One thing I can't figure out is how to add to or subtract from an automatic subject or object selection. I can click add or subtract and use the ebrush tool, but it seems t make a different layer. I want to invert my TOTAL selection so I can work only on the background, but it doesn't seem to combine the selections.

Suggestions please.

Thanks,

Hal

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The different layers are the whole idea behind the new tools. You have a main mask, that is built up from different submasks (Adobe calls them 'components'). By having different these components or layers, also brush refinements become non-destructive. You can undo a brush refinement at any time, without having damaged the layer below. With the old tools, if you brushed over a graduated filter for example, and later changed your mind, you could not get the brused-over graduated part back. If you erased the brush, you would end up with no mask, bot the original graduated mask.

If you want to invert the total mask, then do the following. Invert the subject mask, then right-click on the brush mask and change it from add to subtract, or vice versa. Do not invert it too, that does not work.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I added a feature suggestion to make a quick "invert mask" available for the entire mask. That would invert and convert in one step. If you like my idea, please vote it up!

https://t.co/cvEhctxW3f?amp=1

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terry White dives deeper into the new re-envisioned masking workflow. He shares just some examples of powerful combinations that can achieve more complex and...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think what you need to know us in the link below.

A very good, very complete, very long but worth it on the new masking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7Fld8eEHsE

Welcome to the world-exclusive first LIGHTROOM MASKING TUTORIAL! A massive update to the Adobe Lightroom suite of apps (and Adobe Camera Raw) will be release...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines