LightRoom while off line

Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a travel photo and videographer and often spend a few weeks in remote locations. I had now several instances where Lightroom would not work because I had no Internet, and it could not validate my license. This is very annoying as I'm paying for the software, and I'm restricted to where I'm geographically using it.

I would hope there is a way around it?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

@stefanf58290378 wrote:

Even with my subscription paid monthly, I should have 60 days of use which would be sufficient but that's not how it works unfortunatelyCleanShot 2022-09-08 at 09.14.27@2x.jpg

It looks like there might be a problem with this Adobe information page. At least until recently, the above quoted schedule only applied if you pay yearly. If you pay monthly, then the grace period was only one month in total. The page used to clearly explain these differences, but now the info about monthly payments is gone. So either

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First up, your copy of the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App. Do you leave it as signed in? Signing out deactivated the apps. Signing back on checks the Adobe Servers for your subscription, and if it validates, it then activates the apps. So do not sign out. That is not all the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop does, but that bit relates, perhaps to your issue.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/manage-apps-services-desktop.html

Second off, if signed in, great, but how long will you be without internet? And add to that, how long since your subscription was checked and approved (validated)/ This validation occurs  on a regular basis, every 30 days, but a grace period exists in case of internet issues, depending upon if you pay monthly (as in 12 timed a year) or annually the period of time for the grace time if unable differs. One trick is to intentionally sign out then sign in just before the trip as to force the accreditation.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/internet-connection-creative-cloud-apps.html

Third up, and I have no experience with this, you can contact Adobe over a phone line. Not sure what they do.

/edit/ above sentence turned out to be wrong.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, I don't sign out I can use Adobe on my Desktop at home and on my Laptop and I'm always signed in.

I just want to use the software when I needed it. My Laptop is not always used but only when travelling I can be 4 weeks without meaningful internet, and Adobe is the only software that causes this issue. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Four weeks should be manageable. I have no idea how to determine when my copy last checked in with Adobe to validate the subscription. But consider signing out the signing in right before you go on travel, on that travel laptop that is. Doing so should restart the clock so to speak on validation for that device.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yea to be honest, I should not have to before a trip I have thousands of other things to sort and Adobe is the only software I need to do this for. On the last trip, I updated everything before and then after two weeks could not use the software anymore because no internet.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are referring to Lightroom Classic, correct? Not that cloud based Lightroom? What version?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, and on that trip, you signed out then signed in on the laptop correct? Not the stay at home desktop.

And you just stated update, not signed out/signed in. Very different process. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just called Adobes 1800 number and after having me in the queue for 30 mins the line disconnects, quite a poor customer support experience 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a thought, do you make your payment monthly or annually?

If you pay annually you may have a better experience. When you pay monthly you have to be connected every 30 days, annually it's 90 days as far as I am aware. Is your computer running 24 / 7 at home when you are away from home?

Regards, Denis: iMac mid-2015, 5K 27”, GPU 2GB, Ram 24GB, HDD 3TB, macOS 11.7.; LrC 11.5, Lr 5.5, Ps 23.5.1, ACR 14.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You stated “no, I don't sign out I can use Adobe on my Desktop at home and on my Laptop and I'm always signed in.”

You can have two units signed in, with one in use at any point in time. When I travel abroad my Desktop is signed in but the Computer at home is shut down.

Lightroom Classic is a single user application. You can have multiple Lr mobile apps running.

I believe when you reboot your laptop and LrC app if there is an internet connection it will verify your subscription, if you have the Creative Cloud application installed and running.

I usually open LrC using the Creative Cloud application.

When you boot the Creative Cloud app it will verify your subscription, so if you have access for a couple minutes then that will reset things.

Regards, Denis: iMac mid-2015, 5K 27”, GPU 2GB, Ram 24GB, HDD 3TB, macOS 11.7.; LrC 11.5, Lr 5.5, Ps 23.5.1, ACR 14.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, you are correct, I can only use one computer at a time however, I can stay signed in tow two computers. I don't use my Laptop at home, so never try to open LightRoom on two machines at the same time. If I'm away I only use my laptop at home my Mac Studio

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so you just need to concentrate on how to keep connected while traveling.

Do you have Adobe Creative Cloud application active on your travel laptop?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no mate I can't organise my travel based on one application where often I go simply is no connection 

www.youtube.com/alloffroadau 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The current policy is that annual subscribers can go up to 129 days without connecting to the Internet, while month-to-month subscribers can go up to 60 days:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/internet-connection-creative-cloud-apps.html

There have been a few other reports here in the past year of people not being able to use LR while disconnected less than the maximum number of days.  

Before you travel again, you might try disconnecting your laptop from the Internet for 3 - 7 days and verify you can continue to use LR.  If you get errors, post back here with screenshots of the entire LR window, including the error messages.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I'm testing it now leaving the computer offline, I had that actually in several instances and never have seen a message where I could extend use after the first and only message that Adobe can't connect to the server. Just a lot of effort to go trough to ensure I can use a paid application in different geographical locations in the same country, again no other applications but Adobe have this issue. The day Affinity brings out something similar to Lightroom I'm leaving the Adobe train

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@stefanf58290378 wrote:

I had that actually in several instances and never have seen a message where I could extend use after the first and only message that Adobe can't connect to the server. 

Hmm, that laptop, what OS? I know your post indicates MACOS, but what if? Not WIN 7 perhaps?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

"after the first and only message that Adobe can't connect to the server. "

There are different messages that might appear, so a screenshot of the error message(s) could contain valuable clues in troubleshooting the issue.

Another thing to check for: Is your computer date and time correct to within a second, including the time zone?  Out-of-sync clocks are one cause of Creative Cloud activation errors.  Verify in System Preferences > Date & Time:

johnrellis_1-1662576976695.png

Users shouldn't have to deal with this, but it's very unlikely Adobe support would be helpful on an issue like this.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will definitely take a screenshot next time, it's all in Australia, and my time zone is correct

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually just went through my footage, and I actually have it on video so here is the error message I saw. 2 weeks earlier I updated each app CleanShot 2022-09-08 at 08.34.48@2x.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen some reports that suggest that changing the time zone on your computer triggers the Creative Cloud app to try and verify the license, so if you do not have an internet connection at that time, there may be a problem. That means you may be able to solve this by setting your computer to the new time zone before you leave (and while you still have internet), and then start the apps one more time. May be worth trying.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but I don't change the time zones it's all in Australia

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Creative Cloud software verifies the account status on Adobe servers once a day. If the account is in good standing (that is, payment is up-to-date) when the last verification happens, the software status refreshes to run for at least 99 days offline.

See:

https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/creative-cloud/kb/internet-connection-creative-cloud-apps.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/manage-apps-services-desktop.html

The amount of data to check is so tiny, if you can teather the Mac to a cell (satellite) phone, you're set. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unfortunately, that's not the case. I assume that if my home PC is switched off and hence has no Lightroom open this is enough to not cause a licence conflict. I don't need to sign out of Adobe cloud on my Mac before I travel.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got nothing to do with 'home pc' on or off; if you have a local laptop with LR and you use it to log into the account before you leave, you still have 99 days at least to use it until you need to again, log into your account from that laptop. Remember too, you can only have two installs per license activated and only one running the software at a time. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, that is exactly what I'm doing, and I don't have 99 days I don't even have 2 weeks. I updated all Adobe apps before I left, and within 2 weeks no use.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines