• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

lightroom will not read sony ARW files

New Here ,
Mar 26, 2015 Mar 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understood the latest version of Lightroom supported the recent Sony A7 series, whose RAW files are Sony's own ARW files. I have the latest Lightroom but it will not read these files.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 26, 2015 Mar 26, 2015

Here is a list of the Sony A7 series cameras that Lightroom supports, and the version of Lightroom required. The Lightroom versions are in the highlighted area.

Capture.JPG

If you are certain you have the appropriate version of Lightroom installed, then provide more information. Can your operating system browser see the raw files? Have they been downloaded to your hard drive? What operating system are you using? What is the exact version of Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 108 Replies 108
LEGEND ,
Apr 01, 2017 Apr 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Martin, what version of Lightroom do you have installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

martinw24967940  wrote

Yes. Still not working for my A7ii arw files

You need at least Lightroom 6.1.1 or CC2015.1.1 ro read A7rii files. Are you running at least that version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But the A7II (which Martin says he has) only requires 5.7.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah misread. I thought it said A7rii.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 16, 2016 Mar 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Sony A7 II has been supported since LR 5.7.1, almost a year and three months, ago, now.

What version of LR are you running?  Use Help / System Info... or Help / About LR to find out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2016 Mar 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ssprengel, the question is about uncompressed A7II files. Sony released a firmware update that allowed the A7II and A7rII to write files that were not lossy compressed late 2015. Those files can only be read by Lightroom versions since 6.2. Lightroom 5.7.1 can't read them unless you convert them to dng.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 17, 2016 Mar 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe, but this is Eric's first post and the question remains what version of LR are they using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Seems I was a bit naive in terms of understanding Lightroom's update feature. I has assumed that, being on 5.7, when I check for updates and see I am up to date, I would be on 5.7.1. Not true after looking slightly deeper (which admittedly I should have done originally).

I was able to import RAW files from my Alpha 7 II by first going to the Adobe site and forcing the upgrade to 5.7.1. I also went to the Sony site and upgraded camera body firmware to 3.10

I don't see anywhere to selected 'uncompressed raw' so I have to assume that RAW format is now uncompressed by default. Would this be true?

Everything is working perfectly now ..... thanks for your help. Love this community,

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eric, the option for uncompressed raw on your A7II is shown here: http://briansmith.com/sony-a7ii-firmware-update-fw-2-00-adds-pdaf-uncompressed-raw/ You won't be able to read those files in LR 5.7.1 directly unfortunately. You can read them by first converting the files to dng using the latest dng converter which is a free download from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2016 May 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I am unable to open AWR files in Lightroom even though I just did the update. I have a Sony A7ii camera with the latest firmware. First I get a message when in Import screen that says "Not a able to preview file" and then when I import the files to the catalogue I get an error that says "Files not recognize" or something like that. Not sure what the issue is and hopefully someone can help me.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rlopez, this means you are not running a new enough Lightroom version. Check which version you are running either in the splash screen when you open it or by doing a system info from the help menu. It should be at least 6.1.1 (or CC 2015.1.1) to open A7rII files. Lightroom 6/CC2015 updates are done from the creative cloud app, not the update item in the help menu (indeed very confusing!). If you are still on Lightroom 5 and you are loading A7II, it should be 5.7.1 (not 5.7!). Lightroom 5 will not load A7rII files at all except if you transcode them to dng files first. the 5.7.1 update does not download automatically from the update menu for some unknown reason, but has to be downloaded directly from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having this problem. Hard to believe adobe cant handle this better. Anyway, I think I need to update from Creative CLoud, which is interesting but I have no idea what that is.  Any link? or?

thanks

Lightroom version: 6.0 [1014445]

License: Perpetual

Operating system: Windows 8.1 Business Edition

Version: 6.3 [9600]

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 4

Processor speed: 2.4 GHz

Built-in memory: 8097.0 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 8097.0 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 271.5 MB (3.3%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 217.3 MB

Memory cache size: 0.0 MB

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 2

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2

System DPI setting: 144 DPI (high DPI mode)

Desktop composition enabled: Yes

Displays: 1) 1920x1200

Input types: Multitouch: Yes, Integrated touch: Yes, Integrated pen: Yes, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: Yes

Graphics Processor Info:

Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400

Check OpenGL support: Passed

Vendor: Intel

Version: 3.3.0 - Build 20.19.15.4331

Renderer: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400

LanguageVersion: 3.30 - Build 20.19.15.4331

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom

Library Path: C:\Users\tsackett\Pictures\Lightroom\Lightroom Catalog.lrcat

Settings Folder: C:\Users\tsackett\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installed Plugins:

1) Behance

2) Canon Tether Plugin

3) Facebook

4) Flickr

5) Leica Tether Plugin

6) Nikon Tether Plugin

Config.lua flags: None

Adapter #1: Vendor : 8086

Device : a16

Subsystem : 51414

Revision : b

Video Memory : 112

Adapter #2: Vendor : 1414

Device : 8c

Subsystem : 0

Revision : 0

Video Memory : 0

AudioDeviceIOBlockSize: 1024

AudioDeviceName: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)

AudioDeviceNumberOfChannels: 2

AudioDeviceSampleRate: 44100

Build: Uninitialized

Direct2DEnabled: false

GPUDevice: not available

OGLEnabled: true

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info Jao. I'll try tomorrow. I am running Adobe CC and today I installed the latest update. Now if what your are saying is correct, about the latest update 5.7.1 not automatically showing up in CC, then this may be the problem and in that case Adobe should do something to fix this glitch before others run into it.

Thanks again and Ill keep you guys updated with this problem tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of you have cc check whether you are actually running Lightroom CC 2015 when you start Lightroom. Many people keep starting up Lightroom 5 even if they installed the newer CC version because they still have a shortcut somewhere. Installing CC does not replace Lightroom 5 if you had that before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rlopez3188 wrote:

Thanks for the info Jao. I'll try tomorrow. I am running Adobe CC and today I installed the latest update. Now if what your are saying is correct, about the latest update 5.7.1 not automatically showing up in CC, then this may be the problem and in that case Adobe should do something to fix this glitch before others run into it.

Thanks again and Ill keep you guys updated with this problem tomorrow.

Lightroom 5.7.1 is NOT the current version of Lightroom, even with the creative cloud program. The current version is Lightroom CC 2015.5.1. Installing Lightroom CC does not replace 5.7.1. If you are still running the older version you are double-clicking on the wrong icon, or you are using a 32-bit operating system. Lightroom CC 2015 is 64-bit only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2016 May 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you JimHess!!! You and Jao were 100% correct. I was still clicking on the old version of Lightroom even know the new one was also installed in my system. However, it is still weird as to why CC installs a second copy of Lightroom instead of overwriting the existing one. Either way, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2016 May 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm on LR 6.5.1 on a Mac El Capitan 10.11.5 and it reads and is able to import Sony's ARW files.

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2016 Sep 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I just downloaded a free trial of Creative Cloud in order to just check it out and purchase the software.

I took some photos today on my Sony RX100IV in both JPEG and ARW format. I tried to import them into Lightroom but only the JPEGs will populate.

I was using a 32BIT computer so maybe that has something to do with it.

But I tried to convert to DNG but no luck.

Why can't I import RAW files for editing? Am I doing something wrong?

If not, what can I do?

I am using Lightroom 5.7.1 on a Windows 10 32 bit laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Sony RX 100 IV was first supported in LR 6.1.1. Lightroom 5.7.1 can't read it. Unfortunately LR 6 can only run on 64 bit machines, so your laptop will not work. You should be able to read the files in 5.7 after you convert to dng using Adobe's dng converter though so I am curious why that didn't work. Can you post one of the dng files, perhaps through a dropbox link?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately no. Out of frustration I formatted the SD card I was using which wiped all the RAW Files I have. Almost resigned to the fact that LR will not be able to import RAW images which is a real shame. 

I might take a few RAW pictures tomorrow though and try again. LR is set to Camera Raw 7.1 or later.

I got the JPEGs imported no problem but no RAW files through the COPY to DNG converter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use Lightroom 5.7, the copy to DNG will NOT work for this camera. Lightroom 5.7 was released way before this camera and so it cannot support it directly, not even for converting to dng. You have to use the free dng converter outside of lightroom to convert your raw files. See here for instructions on how to use it: Adobe Digital Negative Converter 9.x​. You need to import the files from the card using the operating system first to a folder on your computer, convert them using the converter to a different folder and them import into Lightroom.

After you convert the raw files to dng, Lightroom 5.7 will be able to import and use them. Since you have a CC subscription, you should use that on a 64 bit machine and use Lightroom CC 2015/6 which will directly import these files from the camera.

These problems are caused by camera manufacturers using proprietary raw formats so that when a new camera comes out, the raw format is slightly different and makers of third party software have to update their software in order to support it. If the camera makers used open formats such as dng in their cameras, this problem would not exist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have Lightroom 4 (on a disc). I have Sony RX100III. Which is the version of LR that I should use in order to read the ARW files? LR6? On the web site for updates the latest version I can find is only 5.7.1. Adobe - Lightroom : For Windows

Can you pls help?

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problems with A6300 ARW files. I just got lightroom yesterday. Only imports the jpegs. But I just want the ARW files. Looked around and thought I downloaded The Camera Raw Installer but that didn't work either. I'm lost on what to do next. I got this to edit Raw files and not jpeg. I have lightroom on my phone for jpegs. If anyone has solved this problem please help. I'm running LR on windows 10. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you just got Lightroom 6 yesterday, you probably installed Lightroom 6 .0. You've got to upgrade to Lightroom 6 .5 or later in order to have support for your camera.  I don't know Why you are trying to download the Camera Raw installer because it won't have any effect on Lightroom. All of that technology is part of the Lightroom program. You have to update the Lightroom program which is currently out Lightroom 6.9. If you update the program then you will have support for your camera. Trying to update Lightroom with the camera raw plug-in will have no effect on Lightroom at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. I didn't know if the camera raw had anything to do with it. That was a shot in the dark because I got desperate. I will see if I can find the update because of late I've been unlucky. I went through the Lightroom's interface itself to have it manually check for updates. Then I went through creative cloud to which told me I was updated as far as possible. I didn't get the creative cloud version though. I had to search deep to find the non subscription Lightroom. I'm now in the process in checking to see f the camera drives are all updates and downloaded to my computer. I'll try t look for the 6.9 because from what my version is telling me is that I have 6.0. Which I'm questioning the truth in that because its telling me I have downgraded from Windows 10 to 8. Thanks for your help.

This is the info I get regarding the version:

Lightroom version: 6.0 [1014445]

License: Perpetual

Operating system: Windows 8.1 Home Premium Edition

Version: 6.3 [9600]

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines