Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Looking for Help - Raw Files / TIF look strange when opened in Lightroom

Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I recently had to reset my computer (uninstall windows), and I've reinstalled my creative cloud. But everytime I open up RAF / Raw files in Lightroom / Photoshop, my images end up looking extremely distorted (Dark, loss of detail). Extra information / steps tried: 

1) I've installed Lightroom on a different machine to test if my files had become corrupt during copying, but everything looks fine on my other device - so the files aren't the issue. 

2) I've tried deleting preferences / uninstalling Lightroom with a fresh catalogue, but it still shows issues. 

3) I've tried testing different files, and one of the files (TIF) actually showed the same broken photos, but interestingly that was in Windows Photo Viewer - which might indicate it's something wrong with my display drivers / Windows 10? 

4) I've tried updating all my display drivers, but that didn't work either. 

Any advice / info would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance! 

test.pngerror.pngExperiment.jpg

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry - forgot to categorize. Images listed - 1) TIF file, 2) Raw File, 3) Good JPEG file for reference

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rebuilt PC, reinstalled LrC, Ok, but the catalog?

Did you loose the catalog in the process (maybe not on C drive)

If so, did you recover the catalog via restoring from backup?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it's the catalogue's issue. I have the catalogues backed up, and I was able to link all my folders - but the images were still distorted. I even reset Lightroom to re-import my old RAW files as a completely new catalog. The same RAW files also opened distorted outside of Lightroom / Photoshop (i.e. Windows Photo Viewer), so it may be Windows 10-related as well. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you reinstalled Windows, a new monitor profile from the monitor manufacturer may have been installed.

These profiles are notoriously bad, and often defective out of the box.

Lightroom (as well as other color managed software) rely on a sound and correct monitor profile to display correct colors.

Note that the Windows Photos app is not color managed, and will never (except by chance) display correct colors.

As troubleshooting, and as a possible temporary fix, try setting the monitor profile to sRGB. (use Adobe RGB if you have a wide gamut monitor)

If this fixes the issue, it is recommended that you calibrate your monitor with a hardware calibrator.

This will also create and install a custom monitor profile that describes your monitor accurately.

With Lightroom closed, press the Windows key + R, type colorcpl in the box and press Enter. This brings up the Color management dialog. Add the sRGB profile, then set it as default.

color-management.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks @Per Berntsen ! That solved it. I usually use DisplayCal with a Colormunki to calibrate my monitor, which was the first thing I did when installing windows. That's odd, since I never had issues previously with calibration / incorrect colors. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines