• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Losing photo quality when I export a raw photo as a jpeg in Lightroom Classic.

New Here ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently installed Lightroom Classic. I shoot my photos in raw format and import these raw images into LrC. I then edit the raw images. When I export as a jpeg and display that jpeg anywhere, including LrC, it looks grainy. What am I missing. I shouldn't lose quality I set the quality slider to 100%.

Thanks a bunch!

Tom.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to view at 100% to compare.

100% is a very significant number. It means one image pixel is represented by exactly one physical screen pixel. It's the only way to see the image pixel structure accurately (not resampled/softened).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to what @D Fosse said, you said:

I shouldn't lose quality I set the quality slider to 100%.

Simply not true, there is always compression and some loss of quality when you export a JPG, and so there is quality loss even when the quality slider is at 100 (also note that the quality slider is not percent, the quality slider is simply a number between 0 and 100)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed. "Maximum" is not maximum. Jpeg compression is always destructive.

Personally I just don't see the point in cranking the slider all the way up. You still get lossy compression, but not full payoff in terms of file size (if that's important). The sweet spot is somewhere around 60-80.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post a screenshot of your export settings. You might be scaling down the image considerably.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You were right! I did scale it back and tried to display a large version. I appreciate your help on this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you found the issue. It's a big complicated dialog so easy to miss stuff like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You may want to examine this in terms of JPEG quality settings:

http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/jpeg-quality/full-res-examples

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines