• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Loss of color saturation in Library panel at 100% zoom

Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problems only occurs in the Library panel, not in the Develop.

When I zoom in 100% on a picture (or any zoom larger than "Fill"), the image looses saturation. Please see attached pictures.

"Fit" zoom in Library panel, colors look correct.

Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 09.39.03.png

100% zoom in Library panel, colors lost saturation.

Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 09.39.15.png

100% zoom in Develop panel, colors look correct.

Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 09.39.23.png

This is my system info:

Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 09.50.56.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be a defective monitor profile, which can affect modules (or applications) differently. Are you using a calibrator? Which one?

But there's also a different issue we've been seeing a bit lately, where Lightroom (or ACR, or Bridge, or Photoshop) is using the wrong monitor profile in a dual display setup. The common factor seems to be laptop + external display. Could that be it?

I'll see if I can dig up some of the threads. A workaround to try is to make sure all applications are on the main display as seen by the OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This happens whether I use the stock ICC profile or my ICC profiles generated with X-Rite i1 Display Pro Plus. It happens on the MacBook display, as well as external display. It happens whether the external display is connected or not. It happens whether GPU acceleration is enabled or not. I couldn't find any workaround. Also, this never happened with previous versions of Lightroom.

I also want to point out that this bug exists in the Print panel as well, and it shows up when the option "Zoom to Fill" is selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has acknowledged this bug:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-library-zoomed-view... 

Please add details of your issue to the bug report, and be sure to click Like and Follow at the bottom of the first post. That will make it a little more likely that Adobe will prioritize a fix, and you'll be notified when the bug's status changes.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, OK, another one.

Two things stick out in that feedback thread: One, it's all Big Sur.

Two, the proposed conclusion from the Adobe rep that "it's just the different color spaces used in Library vs. Develop". That makes absolutely no sense. Different color spaces don't produce different general appearance! That's color management 101. And even if it was a gamut difference that did this (which it isn't), Library covers Adobe RGB. Who has a display that goes so far beyond Adobe RGB that you can see "more colors" in ProPhoto data?

Library = Adobe RGB vs. Develop = ProPhoto has no visual impact on screen. None whatsoever. If it does, there's a problem elsewhere.

So it's just another bug, seemingly affecting Big Sur only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Two, the proposed conclusion from the Adobe rep that "it's just the different color spaces used in Library vs. Develop". That makes absolutely no sense."

Agreed. Rick is a nice guy and does a good job overall helping out in that forum, but in this case just wrong.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, he is. Can't be easy to be on the receiving end. I didn't mean to get personal, I just tend to jump when I see something obviously wrong 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Develop and all other modules have never exactly matched as Develop uses a vastly different preview architecture than all other modules. And the ONLY accurate way to view color and tone is in Develop at 100% or greater preview zoom as subsampling down (zooming out) alters colors. That said SOME ARE reporting this issue, I can't replicate it under Big Sur. It's a rare and known bug Adobe is aware of and has been working on. 

Yes, Develop uses a very, very different color space and preview architecture than the other modules. He's absolutely correct. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As for preview architecture, absolutely. If the image is very noisy, zooming out could alter the colors because of subsampling, and that could well give different results in the two modules.

That does not mean the color space has anything to do with it. It's just resampling artifacts.

Anything beyond Adobe RGB will be clipped on your monitor. The difference between Library and Develop is invisible on screen and out of the equation. Unless something else is wrong!

A defective monitor profile could produce a difference, and sometimes does. Obviously, it all ends up in the same destination profile. But the source color spaces are very different, one Adobe RGB and the other linear TRC ProPhoto. That means the actual calculations are very different. Two different conversions, one may work correctly and the other fail. That happens, not just in Lightroom, but in Photoshop or other applications as well.

The OP here sees a difference at 100%. It seems to be an intermittent and erratic issue, and zooming may just be a trigger. That is a characteristic of the "wrong profile in dual display" bug I mentioned above. For some it's triggered by hitting F (full screen).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines