• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lost Keywords

Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am very new to LrC. This morning I tried to add a keyword to a photo and found my keyword list contained only a few keywords. I had added keywords and subs for several weeks and had more than 50. I had used that list for many, many photos over several weeks. I then checked my photos and none have keywords assigned and none have the tag showing at the bottom. What did I do to eliminate all my kewords on my photos and almost all (about 6 remain) in LrC itself. Is there any possibility of getting them back?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible you are working with more than one catalog? Keywords in one catalog won't be found in another catalog unless you create them there, too.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank-you, I believe you are correct in explaining why LrC is not showing the keywords in its list. But I don't see why I shouldn't see keywords in the photo themselves. The photos have all of the edits and crops but no keywords. I can open them and have the eidited version which seems like I am in the correct catalog. I think I would have had to import the photos twice. The first time a catalog was created but I only added keywords. The second time another catalog was created I did edits. Like I mentioned I am very new to LrC and have had a bit of trouble with the catalog concept. I'll try to find a second catalog to see if that is the cause of my problem. Thanks again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keywords and other metadata are recorded in the catalogue (database), and are only written to the originals when you choose to save them using Metadata  > Save Metadata to Photos. They are also included in copies of files which you may export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I solve the issue of keywords in the files in my naming convention.

My folders get the date and name of the event, for example 2021-05-21-Young Property for a real estate shoot. If I have a multiday event, all photos go in the folder with the beginning date. Then, during import, I name all the files with the folder name + a sequential number, for example 2021-05-21-Young Property-0001.nef. This system lets me search for individual photos and or folders both in LrC and in the OS file management program, Finder or Win Explorer. It is very valuable when listing photos and folders alpha-numerically in apps that display the contents of a drive.

This system was recommended to me by my daughter-in-law who has a masters degree in library science and was an intern at the Kennedy Library.  This naming system will work for whatever type of work you do, nature, landscape, commercial, family, etc.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines