• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lr 11.0.1 masking panel unusable on Mac OS 10.15.7

New Here ,
Dec 05, 2021 Dec 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having issues with the new masking panel. It seems completely broken on my system. After I create a mask, I can't do anything with it (all of the options are greyed out). Showing the overlay option seems to do nothing (pressing "o" on the keyboard has no effect, not even toggling the toggle). After I restart lightroom, the options are no longer greyed out, but they don't work (deleting an adjustment for example does nothing, inverting a mask does something, but only after I hide and show it, the eye button seem to only be toggled one way into being crossed out, but seems to change stuff on screen).

I am not able to update Mac OS for unrelated reasons, so it's be great if it could work on Catalina. Also, I've tried reinstalling Lr, but it hasn't changed anything.

I've captured all of the issues mentioned above in this video:

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you considered resetting the preference file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, try resetting preferences as outlined here (can't hurt): https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html

If that doesn't work, what happens if you turn off GPU in preferences?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on Catalina and mine is working.

Defintely reset the preferences so that you are using LR with the default settings - just to see if it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your video I see you are creating masks but you are not adjusting any of the sliders.

What are you expecting to see if you do not make adjustments?

Rob_Cullen_0-1638775261919.png

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your video I see you are creating masks but you are not adjusting any of the sliders.

What are you expecting to see if you do not make adjustments?

Rob_Cullen_0-1638775261919.png

By @Rob_Cullen

Well if you look at the video closely, you'll see I'm not able to make changes to the mask (like inverting it to select the background). I don't think the actual adjustments matter here as the masking options themselves don't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've reset the preferences file and now Lightroom won't turn on at all. I've uninstalled it completely with the "Remove preferences" option and reinstalled - that didn't help. After launching the app, I'm stuck on the launch modal "reading preferences":

manfredmaniek_0-1639571663186.png

When I close the app, I get an error report to fill, which I did a couple of times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I haven't noticed that Lr updated to 11.1. Version 11.0.1 works in the sense that it launches fine, but masking is still broken like it was before even after removing the prefs file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you have a couple of issues here. I'll try to help with the Mask but if you still have start/stop/preference problems, and your version of LrC is not a supported config, disable the GPU and/or update the video driver to see if that helps.

You said "After I create a mask, I can't do anything with it (all of the options are greyed out)." but some more information would use useful:

• Which MASK control are you creating?
  • If SKY or SUBJECT is it coming back with a RED overlay?
  • When you say the options are greyed out, have you selected the MASK or the CONTROL. You need to be on the control to make adjustments since one MASK may have multiple controls in it.
  • You are inadvertently pressing DONE which will hide all the controls.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Which MASK control are you creating?
  • If SKY or SUBJECT is it coming back with a RED overlay?

By @DS256

Yes, the subject is being selected correctly, you can see that in the video at 0:08 (although toggling the overlay does not work most of the time, the checkbox does nothing, neigther does pressing `O` on the keyboard. If I make some adjustments, the overlay goes away and I can't bring it back).

• When you say the options are greyed out, have you selected the MASK or the CONTROL. You need to be on the control to make adjustments since one MASK may have multiple controls in it.

By @DS256

Yes, the mask is selected (I can see the overlay on the photo), you can see that in the video at 0:09-0:13.

• You are inadvertently pressing DONE which will hide all the controls.

By @DS256

Nope, I can still see the mask controls.

One more thing I noticed is that the invert toggle in the sidebar does nothing either (in the screenshot below, I would expect the background to be selected):

manfredmaniek_0-1639586972114.png

Thank you for trying to help me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Yes, the subject is being selected correctly, you can see that in the video at 0:08 (although toggling the overlay does not work most of the time, the checkbox does nothing, neigther does pressing `O` on the keyboard. If I make some adjustments, the overlay goes away and I can't bring it back)." Sorry, I don't know how I missed the video. I've watched it now and realize I thought you were talking about the slides being greyed out instead of the right click 'properties?' pop-up (not sure what the correct name is for that window).

As for the greyed out 'properties' window, that is likely something based on the type of mask selected. It looks like you slider controls are working.

When you say "I'm not able to make changes to the mask (like inverting it to select the background). I don't think the actual adjustments matter here as the masking options themselves don't work." I'm not sure that's the way it's suppose to work.

Here's how I get everything that is not  'Subject'.

1. Create Mask 1. Select Subject.
  2. Right click on 'Mask 1' and choose 'Duplicate Masle 1'
  3. Select 'Mask 1 Copy'.
  4. Right Click on  it's 'Subject 1' and select 'Invert'.

This is how it looks

DS256_1-1639594228527.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would do that if it wasn't for the problem I described. The options are disabled, I can't duplicate a mask, invert it, delete it or act on it in any way except add adjustments:

manfredmaniek_0-1639597495502.png

If I close Lr and open it again, the options are there, I can duplicate a mask, but it doesn't work straight away. I need to close the masks panel and open it again to see the duplicated masks. Same with deleting, I can delete a mask, but it is only deleted upon closing and reopenning the masks panel.

None of the problems I have seem like a user error, the feature is just extremely buggy for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"If I close Lr and open it again, the options are there, I can duplicate a mask, but it doesn't work straight away. I need to close the masks panel and open it again to see the duplicated masks. Same with deleting, I can delete a mask, but it is only deleted upon closing and reopenning the masks panel." Have you tried waiting to see if they become available? I ask this because I noticed once this week when I renamed a mask, it didn't display the new name right away.

Have you looked at the MACOS Activity Manager while this problem is occurring to see what is going on?

Very strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As your splash screen was getting stuck at reading the preference file, I have to ask, how did you reset the preference file?

As in the following ?

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I followed this guide, but it seems that Lr 11.1 has some sort of bug that prevents it from starting on my system and that is a separate issue from what I've reported here. I only mentioned it because I didn't notice there's been a new version update, 11.0.1 still works the same as from my original post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm - I just tried again - I am on Catalina 10.15.7 and LR classic 11.1. And everything in the mask panel works as expected. I am not seeing your video clearly, so I am stil not sure what is happening. 

You did uninstall and reinstall the LRClassic 11.1application using the "uninstall" and you deleted the preferences file too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, tried both removing the file manually and uninstalling with deleting preferences (Creative Cloud gives you the option to do do that when you uninstall). I'll wait for the next Lr Classic version and hope for the best. In the meanime 10.4 works ok, so I'll stick to that. Thanks all for trying to help, I really appreciate that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines