• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR 5.7 slowing to a crawl on MacOS Monterey (12.0)

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

I have been having performance problems since i moved to this new Mac, however when searching through forums and support pages all reported issues relate specifically to image processing. This is different, I click-and-wait on pretty much *any* action, from flipping through thumbnails to moving from Library to Develop, to actual image processing commands

my specs:

LR 5.7, running on MacOS Monterey(12.0), MacBookPro, M1 Pro GPU 16 cores, 16GB RAM, 300GB free on SSD storage.

All tips i have found involve disabling HW acceleration but I don't think this is the issue, besides on my LR 5.7 there is no such option in the prefs (in fact there is no Performance tab at all??)

Paolo22834033mojk_0-1643147041935.png

any suggestion greatly appreciated, thank you

-Paolo

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2022 Jan 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 5.7 is an ancient version of what is now called Lightroom Classic. If you keep upgrading your version of MacOS and at the same time continue to use this ancient software, then sooner or later it won't run just slower, but won't run at all.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks!  much appreciated

ok fine, let me crawl out of my cave  🙂 to ask if I need a brand new license to move to LR CC or perhaps I can carry over from my current LR license?  probably a question for the sales team though

--Paolo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic (which should not be called Lightroom CC) is a subscription only software. Your current Lightroom 5 license does not  carry over to Lightroom Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2024 Jan 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel your pain, but it is possible to install LR5 on 64 bit systems (I've done it off the CD installer) but it even runs excruciatingly slowly on Ventura on an i9 iMac. There have been many comments about how fast intel apps run on Rosetta 2, just not LR for some reason. I'm still searching for useful answers rather than the generic "it's old, upgrade" responses. I ran a trial version of classic on an M1 Pro and it worked as expected, largley the same as the perpetual versions on intel machines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 02, 2024 Jan 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please be specific and detailed. What actions in Lr 5 are slow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Essentially everything. Stepping between pics, adding or undoing an action, importing in place, originals or as DNG doesn't actually happen, moving between fit to fill and 100% is an exercise in patience, everything. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing that will "carry over" is that your catalog will upgrade so that it will enable you to continue working with all of your work in Lightroom Classic. But to use Lightroom Classic it will be necessary to subscribe because there are no one time purchase options for Lightroom anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my specs:

LR 5.7, running on MacOS Monterey(12.0), MacBookPro, M1 Pro GPU 16 cores, 16GB RAM, 300GB free on SSD storage.

Bold text above is one of the more significant reasons for your performance issue. Lightroom 5.7x can only run in emulation mode (i.e. Rosetta 2).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2024 Jan 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All tips i have found involve disabling HW acceleration but I don't think this is the issue, besides on my LR 5.7 there is no such option in the prefs (in fact there is no Performance tab at all??)

By @Paolo22834033mojk

That’s because most of the work done to optimize the application for modern computers, such as more fully using all CPU cores, and taking advantage of today’s powerful GPUs for accelerated graphics processing, were done in versions after Lightroom 5.7. Much of the reason there is now a Performance tab is because so many enhancements were done in versions later than the one you are using, probably starting around version 7.

The Apple Silicon M1 Pro processor is very good (I use it with Lightroom Classic daily), but Lightroom 5.7 is particularly unsuited for it. Lightroom 5.7 lacks optimizations for multi-core CPUs, GPU acceleration, and Apple Silicon processors (because Lightroom 5.7 was built for Intel computers), so on an M1 Pro, that’s three strikes against Lightroom 5.7. There is all this powerful performance-oriented hardware on an M1 Pro that Lightroom 5.7 is too old to know how to use, so it isn’t using it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines