• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR 6 is now running very slow and crashes.

Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, as some of you may know my LR 6 was running fine on my desktop pc i5-9600KF cpu 3.70 GHZ with 16 GB ram, ssd drive for some time. Then suddenly, without warning it failed to open and just hung. I decided to re-install (after advice on these forums) LR6 again. So I downloaded the files, extracted them and hey prtesto the programe opened again without having to install. Great! But the only problem (and I think I can remember this from the first time I installed LR6 some years ago) was the programe randomly crashes, and runs very very slowly and the cpu cores are spiking high when open, but dropping back down to normal when any other big program is opened.  Nothing has changed on my very caipable pc and I have unchecked the "use graphics processor" as advised on the suggestions. 

So it's great that LR6 is running again but awfull that it is much much slower. The only thing that might work is I made a clone of the ssd drive some months ago as backup. Perhaps some settings that will be in the LR folders could be transplanted to this ssd ? But knowing what to look for isn't that clear. Can anyone suggest a folder that might have these old settings stroed that could possibly tweak LR to be like I had it before the failure to work ? 

I must say, Adobe need to address this flaky LR issue.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe will not be addressing any LR6 issues, as the software is no longer supported.

What actions in LR6 are running slowly? What is your operating system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's Windows 10.

Right, I just ran LR 6 from my cloned drive hooked up via usb. Interestingly it ran fine, no cpu spike or crashes. So perhaps I need to copy over the folders from that drive to this, or in fact everything in the hope that it will work. Again, my pc is very caipable so that isn't the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone please ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't answer my question. What actions in Lightroom 6 are running slowly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty much everything compared to the way ran, and it runs from the cloned drive. My issue is why is it causing the cpu to really spike, and yet running the exact same programe on the cloned drive, the cpu isvery low and actions are smooth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some things that can cause the CPU to spike

• Synchronizing with the Adobe "cloud"
  • Face Recognition
  • Address Lookup

Make sure these are turned OFF.

Also, if the GPU acceleration is ON, turn it OFF. If it is OFF, turn it back ON.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, checked all you suggested is unchecked and still it runs cpu heavy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the drive it runs poorly on, how much free space in percent? Looking for 20% or more, some say 25% or more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

c drive.jpg

The clone drive is exactly the same as this, and runs normal so it can't be a drive issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why arnt we able to edit posts. So frsutrating I have to add another post. I was going to ask, would it be ok for me to uninstall LR 5.7 that is on this drive or will it affect LR 6 in a detremental way ? It would free up some space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

72/392=18.3. So the proper answer to what percent is 18.3%. You are out of viable room for the catalog.

Now, what is different one drive to the next, why out on both but one works? Not a clue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It still should be running fine on 18% as other big programes don't struggle. That aside, can I unionstall LR 5.7 to make room ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lr uses a lot more resources than other programs. Many like to say But PS runs. That is like comparing a Watermelon to a Green Grape. meaningless.

Incidentally, where do you keep your Camera RAW CACHE, Probably C drive. Not that second drive. The Camera RAW CACHE and the Windows Paging File, probably also on C, add to the hard drive load. Might be just enough under the right conditions, in Develop module, to be the difference.

You need to find more room.

I need to keep this a bit wordy as at least one moderator has complained to me about making too many subsequent postings. Also my grammar will suck, undoubtedly my spelling will suck (should do this on a PC not an iPad) bad habit of not proofreading completely So, I will continue

• Where do you keep additional backups of your catalog I know you have that cloned drive, but additional? More is better, 
  • Where do you keep additional backups if your photos? More is better. Remember, your backup or copy of your catalog does not contain your photos.
  • Backup is best done via third party apps that do it automatically, but manual will do

Consider more external hard drives, to place photos on, to place working catalog on, to relocate Camera RAW CACHE on. Keep backups on separate hard drives than your catalog, photos, etc.

Lightroom can take advantage of the following

• Catalog, fast HD like your SSD
  • Library previews, must be on same drive as catalog, let Lr take care of that
  • Photos can be on any drive, Lr does not constantly access them after import.
  • Camera RAW CACHE on fastest drive. Note that on a Windows PC the Windows Paging file and the Adobe CAMERA CACHE will compete for read/wrights, best to be on separate drives if possible ( Develop module)
  • Program, not worth fighting, just confuses things layer, let it install as default.

Naturally, Photoshop uses the Adobe Camera RAW plug-in, whereas Lr does not, Camera RAW internal to the Lr program. Photoshop uses a scratch drive (folder) that some also relocate off the C drive for efficiency if the derive is fast. Lr does not use that PS scratch drive.

• You might want to check your various CACHE and TEMP files to see if they are getting  cleared.
  • You might want to check for old unused catalogs, be careful, and have backups. 
  • How about your Windows Recycle bin?
  • You might want to check for old no longer used programs including older versions no longer needed, like old Lr (I think you asked)
  • Even if the hard drive you move (via copy please, do not trust Move) to a slower hard drive, the hard drive space advantage might help more than speed when getting that low ob % free)

Note, make sure you keep (as apparently you do) copy's of the old Lr installs, they are hard to come by.

Continueing with the long talking, some links, I probably should have included the first previously,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2021 Oct 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really don't think the drive size is the issue as it has been working fine right up until it failed to open on that fatal day, and there was nothing more added to the C drive. I have cleared a few gb of storage with programes I no longer need or use and yet it still spikes the cpu and memory. And again, this does not happen when running from my cloned C drve with more stuff on.

I clear my temp files and other stuff regular with C cleaner

I have ran though all the checklists on how to optomise LR and all is in order. 

My LR cat files are stored on my secondry D drive, and backed up onto an external 2TB usb drive, along with my Raw images that also sit on my secondry D drive. The D drive is not ssd like the system C drive. 

The only thing that I changed in the last few weeks before LR failed to open was adding Negative Lab Pro and running as a trial, but that wouldn't be an issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently I misunderstood what drive your working catalog is on, apparently not the C drive? Apparently the D drive?

If it is on the D drive, how much space in percent. 

You may want to PM   Rikk Flohr: Photography    or another Adobe Employee that responds in this community, to enter this discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is 1.17TB of space used on a 2TB drive.

I have managed to get the cpu spike down to normal again. At some point when I had tried to get LR working again when it initially stopped working, I tried running it in different versions of Windows in compatability mode. It was still set to Vista, which was the last setting I tried before managing to get it working again by downloading LR 6 files and extracting. I have set it back to Windows 7 (no option to set at my current os Win10) and hey presto, the cpu has dropped right down to normal and so far no crashes. 

When I went through the LR checklist, I can't see any ref to it running in 64 bit mode. Is there any way I can rectify this ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines