• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR CC 2015.8: How to prevent external device from ejecting/unmounting after first import?

Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to me that Lightroom has started to dismount the external device after performing the first import I do.  I then have to plug/unplug the phone or card and wait while it again populates the thousands of irrelevant images. 

This is very frustrating to me because I use Lightroom to import from my phone(s) once every few months just to make sure I have all my images stored in one place.  Since the USB connection to the phone's "media device" is extremely slow, it takes forever for LR to load up the image previews.  Most of which are already imported anyway because I don't usually clean the phone off after importing.

The last straw is that I keep photos on one hard drive, and video on another, so I always use the "alt-check/uncheck" buttons to do the separate imports to set the correct destinations and backup drives.  After I import the photos, the phone disappears and I have to start all over: plugging it in and waiting while these many images are "discovered" only to select the videos and change destination.

And sometimes, if I'm feeling really ambitious, I'll set the metadata correctly on import too - and that is even worse, because I'd have to select a few images, set the keywords and location, and import... and then boom, start all over.  Serious timewaster.

There used to be a checkbox to "eject device after import" but this is gone now - and I also see many confusing threads about it in the past, for older versions of LR, saying that Adobe intentionally removed it, others say it's due to device drivers... heck, I don't know what's true and what isn't.

I would like very much if the external device would remain mounted, and the import dialog remain open, so that I can do the repeated imports without having to re-scan.  I'd prefer to continue using LR as the import interface, but honestly, I'm thinking I'm just going to have to switch to a drag and drop workflow and import later from hard disk (the problem with that is that I don't follow through very well, so I already have about 10 directories scattered around (even on various *machines* named like "photos-to-check-for-import" and I never seem to get around to it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 28, 2017 Jan 28, 2017

I still can see the checkbox next to a removable drive on the left-hand side in Import.

Is this missing on your end?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2017 Jan 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still can see the checkbox next to a removable drive on the left-hand side in Import.

Is this missing on your end?

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2021 Jul 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same issue with eject after import and have no checkbox after the removable drive to prevent eject. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines