• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR Classic 10.3 Indexing stuck in a loop

Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running the latest LR Classic (as of July 2021) on my M1 Macbook Air. 

There seems to be a problem with the indexing... when I open up LR, it would say it is Indexing and starts to count down from 27xx to 2700.... when it reaches 2700, it goes back to 2701, then 2700, then just loops between 2700 and 2701 forever. It will not get past and get stuck at the 2700 level. When that happens, the whole LR becomes super laggy. I have to disable Face Detection to get anything done.  Can anyone please help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

Sounds like there might be a poison photo that's tripping up LR (due to a bug).  You could tediously identify which photo is causing the problem using divide-and-conquer.  Pause Face Detection.  Then select a folder, select all the photos in that folder, and do Library > Find Faces Again, with these options:

johnrellis_0-1625619700393.png

Repeat until you find a folder for which Find Faces Again doesn't complete. Then select the first half of the photos in that photo and do Find Faces Again. If that succeeds, do the second half. Repeat diving in half until you narrow down to a single poison photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your suggestion but frankly that sounds like a nearly impossible solution... unless, we know for sure how the face detection scanner works. Does it scan all the files by chronological order? If that is the case, I could try to select the last 2700photos or so so get a rough idea... but otherwise, going through a folder structure that holds over 800k images will be nearly impossible...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

With 800K photos, modify the divide-and-conquer recipe. Start in All Photographs, with all stacks expanded. Select the first half of the photos and do Find Faces Again. If that succeeds, do the second half.  On whichever half fails, divide it into two halfs and run Find Faces Again on them.  After at most 20 iterations, you'll find the poison photo (if it exists).  

To make this a little easier, do View > Grid View Style > Compact Cells, and set the option View > Grid View Options > Grid View > Compact Cell Extras > Index Number.  This will show the index number of each thumbnail in grid view, from 1 to 800K.  Write down the range of numbers you're currently working on.

As I said, this is tedious, but you should be able to get it done in less than 20 minutes (not counting the time you might have to wait for Find Faces Again, during which you can do other stuff). Unfortunately, I think it's highly unlikely Adobe would pay any attention until/if you're able to identify the problem photo(s) yourself. The other option is to leave face indexing disabled and manually run Find Faces Again on new photos that you import if you want to do face recognition on them.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you need Face Detection to be running?

For what images?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines