• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR Classic 11.3.1 HEIC - "Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo"

New Here ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tested this with a few collegeus and it seems to be a consistent issue. One updated to 11.3.1 HEIC files are not being recognized any more.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

typo above. Should read "ONCE updated to 11.3.1 HEIC files are not being recognized any more."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a first troubleshooting step: Something changed in Mac OS 12.3.1, and many people are finding they need to grant LR Full Disk Access. See https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/quick-tips-how-to-give-full-disk-access...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. I actually first had the issue on a computer running Big Sur. Tested on Monterrey too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you grant Full Disk Access in any case?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked, it was already granted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The screenshot suggests these were all taken with iOS devices, correct? (LR doesn't officially support .heic photos from non-iOS devices.)

Upload a sample photo to Dropbox, Google Drive, or similar and post the sharing link here. We can see if the issue is specific to your configuration or occurs with all configurations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes these are all from a new iPhone. Here are the test photos that imported fine into 11.1 but don't come into 11.3

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jpabu4f6vimvwdu/AACoHW_8q2YADYd8w8FmCtHFa?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, of those 6 .heics, only 1 is from an iPhone (IMG_7222.heic):

$ exiftool -a -G -exif:model *.heic
======== 028.heic
[EXIF]          Camera Model Name               : NIKON D3S
======== 031.heic
[EXIF]          Camera Model Name               : NIKON D3S
======== IMG_5608.heic
[EXIF]          Camera Model Name               : Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT
======== IMG_7222.heic
[EXIF]          Camera Model Name               : iPhone 11 Pro
======== IMG_8261.heic
======== IMG_9049.heic

My LR 11.3.1 imports and edits the iPhone .heic but gives the error "Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo" on all the others. My LR 11.2 imports and edits the other .heics just fine.  Similarly, Camera Raw 14.3 gives an error on those .heics, while Camera Raw 14.2 doesn't.

Unfortunately, Adobe only supports HEIC photos made by iOS devices:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cc/kb/heic-files-support.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm. I watched my client export them out of the iPhone, So Apple took an imported image of some other file type and converted it to an heic? That's so strange. Apple is the one creating the heic then. Also so weird that the files were supported in an 11.2 but not 11.3 Very confusing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can provide a precise step-by-step recipe for having an iOS device create a .heic that LR 11.3.1 or Camera Raw 14.3 can't read, then Adobe will very likely pay attention to the bug report. But the metadata for the photos you provided don't have any indication they were created on an iOS device, and even if they did, without a step-by-step recipe, Adobe isn't going to pay much attention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

one heic not loading from the Nikon D3S is from 2011. I didn't think Nikon's saved off  heic files at all, but I know they didn't in 2011. The conversion to heic is happening in the iPhone. So I guess I just don't get how this isn't an apple heic

@johnrellis wrote:

If you can provide a precise step-by-step recipe for having an iOS device create a .heic that LR 11.3.1 or Camera Raw 14.3 can't read, then Adobe will very likely pay attention to the bug report. But the metadata for the photos you provided don't have any indication they were created on an iOS device, and even if they did, without a step-by-step recipe, Adobe isn't going to pay much attention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"The conversion to heic is happening in the iPhone. So I guess I just don't get how this isn't an apple heic"

Without step-by-step instructions for reproducing the problem, showing them how the HEIC was created on the iPhone, I don't think Adobe will pay any attention. (I'm not very knowledgeable in iOS ecosystem, and I couldn't figure out how to export a non-HEIC on the iPhone as an HEIC.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines